2.4 not starting

paime

Hi Folks,

Our works 110 2.4 is having some difficulties starting. The symptoms are the same as i had in my TD5 earlier in the year where you turn the key and hear the click but the starter motor doesn't turn. Releasing the ignition key slowly finds a spot where the motor kicks into life and everything is fine. On the TD5 i got a solenoid repair kit which was fairly straight forward and fixed the issue. Can i do the same on the 2.4? Is the starter motor/solenoid the same and are repair kits available?

Cheers

19 hours ago, oneandtwo said:

When my 2.4 starter failed ( had been horribly noisy for a month or two prior to failure) a pattern starter was ridiculously cheap (£50 or so) and has been fine for 18 months now.

Good to know. I'll check the battery connections etc first as i hear that can be an issue with the 2.4s but if all else fails i'll need to practice my double-jointed spannering to get the starter motor out!

Just been through this with an 08 2.4, for me it was the starter motor that had died, the brush pack had seemingly disintegrated.  Got a Bosch service exchange for 120 ish pounds. I swapped the ignition switch out too prior to the motor, its fiddly but you can do it without removing the lock itself.

On 12/23/2018 at 9:31 AM, smallfry said:

If fiddling with the key starts it, surely its the ignition switch ?

You'd think that but i had the same issue on my TD5 and it turned out to be the solenoid. Managed to get a repair kit for it and it solved the problem and never had any issues since.

On 12/23/2018 at 9:26 AM, Maverik said:

Just been through this with an 08 2.4, for me it was the starter motor that had died, the brush pack had seemingly disintegrated.  Got a Bosch service exchange for 120 ish pounds. I swapped the ignition switch out too prior to the motor, its fiddly but you can do it without removing the lock itself.

How was the starter motor job? Easy enough or have they located the thing deep in the bowels?