Securing lights !

I woke this morning to find some B*startds has stolen all the lights off my defender (WIPAC LEDS). My dog must have spooked them as they left one of the headlights hangning!

I live it a sleeply village so i am abit shocked this has happened, although given how easy the lights are to remove i should have expected them to disapear.

I have a suspect who i will bee keeping an eye on !

I would be intrested to know what people do to secure thier lights? I was planning on just drilling out the end of the screws to slow them down long enought for me to open the door ans set the dog on them fllowed up by and introduction to MR Baseball bat.

Any better ideas?

Drill a hole through the bolt thread below the nut and press in a roll pin. You could also rig up a motion operated battery powered security light that covers the Defender. Report the theft to the Police, they will give you a crime number which you will need to give to your insurance Company to make a claim, no crime number, no claim.

In the 60s and 70s theft of auxiliary lights was a significant issue [Cibie Oscars didn't come cheap] - the usual way to secure them (they had a single big nut to hold them to their up/down brackets) was to drill one flat of the nut, tap the hole, and then fit an Allen-headed grubscrew which engaged with a 'flat' you filed on the threaded-part of the lamp mounting.

One person I knew also added another wire to the loom, which looped into-and-out-of each of his spot/foglamps. This was wired through a small relay to a permanently-live point - the relay only took about 25 Milliamps. Cut the wire, the relay drops-out, and its contact energizes the horn.

It worked, too!

Thanks for the replies, all advice is much apricated.

Since the main suspect is a local defender owner I'm not going to report back with what I plan to do.

I naively thought my location would make this kind of thing very unlikely, however, it seems there are scrots lurking everywhere!

Thanks again

How did you find the Wipac LED headlights ? they seem comparable in price to Trucklites offerings . Security wise some sort of tamper resistant fixing as suggested , on the door torx type screws or the phillips type a ball bearing can be hammered into the centre . I'd probably go with a couple of guard bars with weld bolts and maybe security nuts inside the wing panel

cheers

Steve b

21 hours ago, steve b said:

How did you find the Wipac LED headlights ? they seem comparable in price to Trucklites offerings .

cheers

Steve b

Hey Steve,

They did not get much use, the truck is used off road 95% of the time and hardly ever at night. when they were on I was happy with the output, nice and bright good coverage. They were fitted when i purchased it, Given their price tag I will be replacing them with something cheaper due to the lack of use and how easy they are to remove!

In fact i am now reluctant to add anything to the truck that cannot be wielded on!