Spare wheel query

Bigj66

Is there an ‘extended’ version of the threaded spare wheel retaining rod shown below? I have 6.5” rims fitted now and the rod length is now too short to pass through the wheel centre to the retaining bracket. I could probably find a way to extend this one but if there’s a genuine one available then that would be preferable.

3FBEC583-912B-4A62-AAAB-A6C29390D9F0.jpeg

1 hour ago, Gazzar said:

Turn the wheel the other way around? Might fit.

No it’s at the closest point to the rim already. It’s because of the deeper dish so it looks like I will need to try and extend the rod somehow.

41 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

A long M16 bolt with the head end cut down, ground flat and with a hole drilled through would do it.

Or alternatively cut it in half and put one of these in the middle, if you only need a little extra length:

CBA56ED4-36CA-4C80-8845-73A90BF20095.png.8d06699c9e39eba9dafd21cf455f85e0.png

Thanks, this was the sort of thing I was thinking about but need to try and identify the thread size on the rod first.

If you have a Series 3 it is most likely it has M16 studs, so you can try a wheel nut on your spare wheel retaining rod.

If you have a Series 2 or 2A it was probably fitted with the smaller 9/16 studs, with a BSF thread, BUT the hubs may have been updated by a PO fitting M16 studs.
Inspection is the only way to tell.

Regards.

The retaining rod isn't M16 or 9/16", its only about 10mm in diameter and much smaller than a wheel stud. 

Just tried mine and a propshaft nut fits the thread, which I believe makes it 3/8" UNF.

Edited by simonb

34 minutes ago, simonb said:

The retaining rod isn't M16 or 9/16", its only about 10mm in diameter and much smaller than a wheel stud. 

Just tried mine and a propshaft nut fits the thread, which I believe makes it 3/8" UNF.

Correct it is much smaller and thanks for the size. Managed to find a place that supplies the extension nut so have ordered one. It’s about 30mm long so should do the trick. Cheers.