Pulse Generator - LT95

garrycol

I am looking at this to provide speed input to a 14CUX (Hotwire) ECU in my FC101.  A friend also has a FC101 with 14CUX system and he does not have any speed input to his ECU and the vehicle runs and idles fine.  

So is speed input important to the 14CUX Hotwire ECU?

Thanks

Garry

Some say it is, but it is perfectly possible to run without it, and run fine.

You can always get an RRC speedo transducer and plug it into your LT230/Borg Warner transfer case, then it would be as factory.

I fitted a 3.9 with 14cux into a Defender with no speed sensor.  If I remember correctly, the speed sensor just helps the engine run smoothly when coming off the gas, decelerating and driving slowly - forget the exact process but it helps give a smoother more steady rpm at low speed which can otherwise be more erratic or lumpy.

Garry,

What form does the signal need to be?  Would something like the pickup for a bicycle speedo not work, it uses a rare earth magnet and a pickup to get the signal. There should be space on the handbrake drum to stick the magnets and a bracket for the pickup?

image.png.65eaa33d4c2356b42080ff3025fc6446.png

Thanks Johnno - yes there are alternatives - such as magnets strapped to a driveshaft as used in some cruise control systems but a purpose made transducer that allows speedo cable use with a pulse takeoff would be preferred.

Pulse rate needs to be about 8000 pulses per mile.

Cheers

Garry