Engine bay noise suppression material

10 hours ago, monkie said:

In my experience most of the noise comes from body panels acting like a drum skin. The biggest difference I found was in soundproofing the seat box. I painted the underside of the floors and gearbox tunnel with a sound deadening paint from frost, stripped the doors and added sound proofing to the inside of the door skins, and then on the inside of the roof. I used dodo mat with 12mm closed cell foam on top.

that works wonders, as does adding heavy pads to the roof, side and door panels.

On 8/28/2019 at 9:53 PM, Anderzander said:

My plan is to do the underside of the floor plates, tunnel, and seat box in the 80. Most of its noise is from the gearboxes - if I can do something to reduce that it will make a big difference. Putting it underneath will keep the factory look too.

You can do that.  Just use something with closed cell foam or, better still, no foam.  Some swear by lead flashing tape from building suppliers.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2019 at 6:27 PM, Snagger said:

You can do that.  Just use something with closed cell foam or, better still, no foam.  Some swear by lead flashing tape from building suppliers.

Why stop at lead flashing, stone cladding is a robust and attractive surface finish :P

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

From what I have done so far, the 2mm silent coat doesn’t do a great deal on its own. The 4mm silent coat was a lot better that I put under the bonnet, making me wish I had used it on the seatbox as well instead of the 2mm stuff. 

Td5 sound proofing has helped, think the next step is to try some of the stuff in the links above behind the td5 sound proofing

• 2 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:34 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Not sure if this exact thing is engine-bay-proof but I lined the trans tunnel with it and it was very good for heat & noise:

CAR Insulation - Sound Proofing Heat Insulation Material

Bit of a progress report on this , it went on really well and has stayed in place too.

Unfortunately it seems to be catnip for mice and has been destroyed to the point where I may as well not have bothered . It's the only vehicle in the yard that has been of interest to the little buggers so I would just say be aware of this if you use it .

cheers

Steve b