Hi all, I'm still new to the LR world. I am currently replacing the swivel balls on my defender Puma and have noticed that the CV joints are knackered. The LR diagrams show that these have to be replaced together with the half shafts. Do the CV joints match the TD5? or is there nay other option for a good replacement? Also will you go for britpart, bearmach or any other as Land Rover Original are quite expensive?

Cheers

Kurt

CV joints are one of the few Britpart components that are good, or at least were.  I had some for my RRC and they have been great.  Ashcroft Transmissions did destructive tests on a range of CV brands and Britpart came second only to their own very expensive version. But that was all a decade or so ago.  Hopefully, they haven’t changed much.

CV's don't usually have to be replaced with a half shaft, they do come apart. But I notice that there doesn't seem to be a part number just for the CV joint now.

If anyone would know it would be Ashcroft Transmissions, I'd drop them a line and see what they say, failing that buy a Britpart (cheap) Td5 type CV and see if it fits. ..

I just checked the stub axle part number from a late Td5 to a TDCI and they are the same part, so Its a good assumption the CV joint is the same.

1 hour ago, RedLineMike said:

TDCI cv joints dont come off the shafts, so you can either replace with a TD5 shaft & CV or just buy a TDCI shaft & CV assembly

I find that a little hard to believe. But alas I've not played with a later defender set-up. 

19 minutes ago, Snagger said:

Is that the outer shaft that is integrated, or the inner shaft too?

i cant remeber the exact difference but i do remember that it took smashing the cv joint inner to get it off the shaft, which i then discovered that a td5 cv doesnt fit the tdci shaft 

3 minutes ago, Maverik said:

I see - its not that it wont come off the shaft - its that a Td5 CV joint isn;t compatible with a TDCI half shaft...

your welcome to try taking the cv joint off the shaft without damaging it,
the main issue i remember is it uses a square section circlip rather than a round section circlip. the square section circlip is what stops you removing the cv joint once its assembled,

1 hour ago, RedLineMike said:

your welcome to try taking the cv joint off the shaft without damaging it,
the main issue i remember is it uses a square section circlip rather than a round section circlip. the square section circlip is what stops you removing the cv joint once its assembled,

Ouch - another LR cost saving scheme no doubt.

Just another engineering failure on the puma.

I heard a horror story about a low miles defender, only 20k miles, where the main box spud shaft splines failed completely.

20k miles!

So, this doesn't surprise me at all.

1 hour ago, Gazzar said:

Just another engineering failure on the puma.

I heard a horror story about a low miles defender, only 20k miles, where the main box spud shaft splines failed completely.

20k miles!

So, this doesn't surprise me at all.

Up to a certain point, the splines just weren't greased on assembly. So it it’s done 20k of short stop/start journeys it won’t take long to start the fretting between the splines.