v8 difference

tolley

Both are ancient now but SD1 had a lighter flywheel and likely different accessory drive etc.

If the SD1 is an EFI then it'll have the EFi inlet manifold.

SD1 exhaust manifolds are different.

The oil pumps got bigger at some point but they're still not great compared to the later ones.

Generally with a bit of faffing about you can bolt any Rover V8 in place of another.

SD1 may well have a different cam for more power at higher revs with less low torque, depends what version the RR unit is as some were low compression or restricted.

Here's some light reading for you:

v8_engine_comparison.png

It depends entirely what the engine/s was originally fitted to, which affects front cover, manifolds, sumps, pistons and camshafts.

Heads are different too, along with emissions gear

But basically, yes, the engines could be swapped, as all the above items could be swapped

I fitted one to an 85 Vogue but when it was installed the whole pulley system was not alinghned before I could start it oone of the valves dropped and I couldn't get the engine to turn a full rotation. I then stripped the engine back and rebuilt the top end and fitted new camb shaft etc. Was a fantastic engine and ran well until I broke the car up.

On 12/15/2019 at 9:11 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

The oil pumps got bigger at some point but they're still not great compared to the later ones.

If you can find the Buick V6 front cover it will have the uprated oil pump as standard fit and will fit onto your engine.