Roverbob

D2 Auto gearbox clutch pack change

Hello,

I am a happy owner of a D2 from '99 with the v8 auto combination, it appears I have to change the forward clutch pack, or clutch pack "A". I cannot seem to find a kit with the right amount of friction plates and steel plates, is there a parts number for the kit? With changing out the friction plates, I suppose the whole gearbox needs to come out of the car instead of "shimmying" it back resulting in enough room.

Kind regards,

Bob

Yes the box would need to come out, though if you are unfamiliar with auto box rebuilds, it may well be worth just swapping it out for a new one, or a known good second hand one.

A rebuilt box is ~£700, so quite an investment, but at least you know it is good.

Thank you for your swift reply!

is it considered a hard job to do this? As I like to do a fair bit of work to my cars I don't mind. 

It currently has the problem of not having any forward gear, only reverse. If I put it in forward and rev it up, the S and M lights start flashing. I bought a new XYZ switch, so that rules that out.

It is quite involved, and you need absolute cleanliness.

Certainly doable, probably the main risk is doing the rebuild and refitting only to find you mucked something up and have to do it all again, and removing/refitting the box is hardly a 5 minute job.

If you are keen though, go for it :) 

If you hesitate at taking it out, it's a big job.

The A-clutch is at the front, so you do not need to dig deep in the box.

I did this, basically, just not changing it out once i was deep enough, since the clutches were practically new. The box worked fine but I wanted to change A-clutch preventatively as the box was out. Read up, get the relevant manuals, I have them if you do not find them elsewhere.

There is an uprated A-clutch from Alto. This is what I found in my box, so was very happy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303253027697

No ill effects from me opening it up in only reasonably clean environment. it isn't brain surgery, just don't do it on a dirty floor. 

Good luck!

T