FIP shaft bolt

Sabre

When I disassembled my 300Tdi engine, I also loosened the FIP shaft bolt, not knowing that said bolt could be left as is.

Once the pump is installed, can I insert the locking pin into the timing slot, and tighten that bolt ? How much should I torque it to ?

Thanks in advance

You need to set the pump first if the pulley is loose, as the timing will be lost. There are videos on YouTube but basically you use a dial gauge in the rear of the pump  and set the pump to the right point, and lock it - there is a facility to lock it. Then you fit it and time the pulley up with the pin. Then you can tighten the bolt and unlock the pump.  

10 hours ago, cackshifter said:

You need to set the pump first if the pulley is loose, as the timing will be lost. There are videos on YouTube but basically you use a dial gauge in the rear of the pump  and set the pump to the right point, and lock it - there is a facility to lock it. Then you fit it and time the pulley up with the pin. Then you can tighten the bolt and unlock the pump.  

Thank you, appreciated

On 4/17/2020 at 1:05 PM, cackshifter said:

Brittanica Restorations has a couple of videos, see '200/300Tdi VE injector pump. Removing the front seal and set timing'

Thanks will look, appreciated

On 4/19/2020 at 8:58 PM, Eightpot said:

The shaft is tapered and just undoing the nut doesn't necessarily loosen the pulley - if its still tight just put the nut back on

I was also thinking the same. If the pulley isn't loose or come off the tapered shaft you should just be able to tighten it back up.

Steve

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 9:38 PM, cackshifter said:

Well I did say "if the pulley is loose". If not, well I'm totally with you too, tighten it up and pretend it didn't happen.

Unfortunately the pump was out, pulley removed

I had a look at the videos, and apparently it is only the 200Tdi that has a shaft locking bolt, not the 300Tdi

Anyway, I have installed the pump, lined up the hole, and have fitted the timing belt. Should see in about 2 weeks if I'm let off the hook (pulley 😳)

Thanks guys

Think you'll be lucky to get away with that - from memory the way to set the pump up if the pulley has been removed is to use a depth gauge on the plunger and line the pulley and slot up when the correct depth has been reached.  The pump shaft naturally springs past where it should be at tdc so you have to dial it back against spring pressure to the right spot 

On 4/27/2020 at 7:22 PM, Eightpot said:

Think you'll be lucky to get away with that - from memory the way to set the pump up if the pulley has been removed is to use a depth gauge on the plunger and line the pulley and slot up when the correct depth has been reached.  The pump shaft naturally springs past where it should be at tdc so you have to dial it back against spring pressure to the right spot 

That's my thought as well. I took the pump off when the engine was at TDC, when I now installed it again, I turned the engine to TDC, and the slot in the FIP aligned. So I installed the timing belt in that position.