Leaf and coil sprung axle differences

Bigj66

6 hours ago, Daan said:

For the people who wish to graft coiler sides to a leaf sprung axle, I noticed this (from another forum):

https://www.designdevelopmenteng.co.uk/store/Land-Rover-Stage-One-V8-Front-Half-Shafts-Uprated-23-24-Spline-p196582103

Daan

Cheers Daan,

Slightly moe expensive than my KAM sourced ones but good to lnow if I need to replace them.

2 hours ago, Anderzander said:

I think it’s been discussed as a general coil axle to leaf spring conversion option. Unfortunately, I need to retain my series axles and in any case I don’t want to fit coil axles to my project. I’m more focussed on ways to graft coil hubs onto leaf axles but the discussion is throwing up a sorts of useful advice and information for others with different aims 👍

20 hours ago, Wytze said:

This what i'm trying to do is just a thing in my head.  If i don't try, it will allways be there. If i try and it does not work, or i would not trust it's stenght.  it will get scrapped.   I can allways find a set of swivels again and go for a different way.  We can learn a lot from just trying.  And making mistakes are good lessons.  

When i build something,  i need it to be safe and strong.      opinions from others are allways welcome, ten know more then one.   But , just saying that will never work , sounds just to negative to me.  

That’s a healthy attitude, just as long as it is tempered with caution, and you seem to be mindful of that.  Everything can’t be done until the day that it can.  But if this particular issue could be solved without the drastic modification of the swivel arms, it’d already be widely done and you wouldn’t be having to reinvent the wheel - a lot of very creative folk have been trying to find a solution for decades, and it isn’t some complex, abstract issue like nuclear fusion, dark matter or the meaning of life.

Big66, have you asked Gremlin about his disc conversion?  It is very neat and strong, uses standard Series swivels and Defender hubs, discs and callipers, and was home made with a relatively simple bracket milled by an engineering workshop to his design.

3 hours ago, Snagger said:

Big66, have you asked Gremlin about his disc conversion?  It is very neat and strong, uses standard Series swivels and Defender hubs, discs and callipers, and was home made with a relatively simple bracket milled by an engineering workshop to his design.

I did but I believe the wheel choice is very limited with this conversion. Standard wheels will not clear the callipers for example.

2 minutes ago, Bigj66 said:

I did but I believe the wheel choice is very limited with this conversion. Standard wheels will not clear the callipers for example.

Should be the same as using Defender axles - he did use early defender hubs and discs, which defines the position of the callipers and would be the same as on a coiler axle.

27 minutes ago, Snagger said:

Should be the same as using Defender axles - he did use early defender hubs and discs, which defines the position of the callipers and would be the same as on a coiler axle.

From that thread:

“Update.............

Just had a hard lesson today on my setup!!

Standard wheels will not fit!! how did i discover it? well the hard way!

Got a puncture this morning on my way to work, stopped at the road side to change it................. jacked up, changed wheel......... the damn thing was jammed up against the caliper................grrrr.................... had to remove a rear wheel, to install it in the front and my standard spare at the rear...........

Lesson learnt............

Standard rover wheels will not fit my front disc conversion...............................

G”

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2020 at 9:46 AM, missingsid said:

I think the main reason was to leave room for the Panhard rod?

As to the question re the use of Defender hubs and discs on the rear Series axle. Yes you can but you will need two items.

First the bolt on caliper brackets from an early Defender Salisbury axle part number FTC3306

Second the disc alignment with the caliper will need checking wich may require a spacer in the axle, mine was 4.5mm thick as I used RRC discs and calipers. Using all Defender parts should match up without?

Is there a particular stub axle that is used for the rear disc conversion?

The RRC stub axle spigot is wider than the Series axle tube recess so do you need to use a Series stub axle that the RRC hub will bolt on to?

On 6/22/2020 at 8:15 AM, Bigj66 said:

Is there a particular stub axle that is used for the rear disc conversion?

The RRC stub axle spigot is wider than the Series axle tube recess so do you need to use a Series stub axle that the RRC hub will bolt on to?

That should work, if you use a “rationalised axle” (post 1980) stub axle, which uses the same bearings as the RR.