Wayfarer Today

Well today we; Hoodoo (John), Foxdog01 (Garry), Kayakingsimba (Steve) and myself, John and myself are CRAG members and Garry and Steve are members of the local club The Muddy Millers. Went up the Wayfarer to repair the part of the Sleeper section. The sleepers had given away and it had formed a hole. We removed all the sleepers from the hole and placed some of them long ways in the hole and then replaced the top layer. We used 16mm steel spikes to hold some of the sleepers down. It all took about 2 hours to do.The repair looks like it will last another 20 years.

Paul

Wayfarer03.jpg

Wayfarer04.jpg

Wayfarer05.jpg

Wayfarer06.jpg

Wayfarer07.jpg

Wayfarer08.jpg

Wayfarer09.jpg

Wayfarer10.jpg

Well today we; Hoodoo (John), Foxdog01 (Garry), Kayakingsimba (Steve) and myself, John and myself are CRAG members and Garry and Steve are members of the local club The Muddy Millers. Went up the Wayfarer to repair the part of the Sleeper section. The sleepers had given away and it had formed a hole. We removed all the sleepers from the hole and placed some of them long ways in the hole and then replaced the top layer. We used 16mm steel spikes to hold some of the sleepers down. It all took about 2 hours to do.The repair looks like it will last another 20 years.

Paul

looks beautiful up there !

Is the wayfarer open to drive all year around?

we were staying near Abergavenny over christmas and did quite a bit of laning, but didn't get the chance to go and look at the wayfarer...

looked great on the map though.... :)

Yes its open all year, unless snow blocks it. I have known 4x4 to be left up there in the snow.

Paul

Folks, if you do venture up on to The Wayfarer, please keep to the true route as some scallywags have been venturing off piste and they have made a terrible mess. The area concerned is an SSSI (Site of Special Sceintific Interest).

When you are up there though, don't forget to sign the Visitor's Book, its located at the highest point of the lane, which is also a reasonable place for a brew and a butty.

Enjoy and stay safe.

T.

Those "scamps" who have been off-piste on the SSSI have actually taken pics of themselves and posted them on a public forum (not LR4x4).

http://www.northwest4x4.co.uk

Look at the Llangollen 19-11-06 section in the gallery

Their registration numbers were visible in the pics and I gather that they have been reported to the relevant authorities.

Di**heads. :angry:

Matt

Those "scamps" who have been off-piste on the SSSI have actually taken pics of themselves and posted them on a public forum (not LR4x4).

http://www.northwest4x4.co.uk

Look at the Llangollen 19-11-06 section in the gallery

Their registration numbers were visible in the pics and I gather that they have been reported to the relevant authorities.

Di**heads. :angry:

Matt

The pics have gone now, I think they did not know the true route although it is blatently obvious when you are there, why else would they advertise they are a bunch of plonkers in public.

The Wayfarer gets more than its fair share of 'off road' and threre is no need because it takes around an hour to drive start to finish.

Good work guys, people driving like this brings us all a bad name. Let's be the ones to stand up and see that they get what they have coming.

I was horrified on a trip to the Methyr area in the late summer to see the evidence of a group driving off the RUPP (I think) and making a real mess. There was a group sitting at the end of the lane drinking tea, I suspect it was them but I did not see them do it. :(

Chris