Power steering cooler.

cols110

G`day all, anyone fitted an oil cooler in their power steering return line.

I`ve had a few ocassions where my oil has been very airated, I don`t think it has actually boiled as the fluid seems OK, I am thinking of fitting a small cooler in front of the radiator to see if it helps at all, I think the problem is more related to high RPM than actual heat, as my TD5 spends a bit of time on the limiter, sometimes it actually overflows and blows a bit of fluid out of the reservior, as well as a squeeling sound from the steering box. I am hoping with fitting a cooler the extra oil capacity may also help a bit.

Anyone done anything similar and can shed some light on if it made any difference or not.

Thanks

Just stick a 13 row cooler in the return from box to res. hose... and while you are on put a remote oil filter head inline as well and the components will all last longer!" Any hydraulic system that has to earn a living has a filter in the system so why not give this benefit to your steering?

It is amazing how red the fluid stays without developing that ';metallic; sheen to it when a filter is used to catch all the little bits of metal in the sytem...

David

Just stick a 13 row cooler in the return from box to res. hose... and while you are on put a remote oil filter head inline as well and the components will all last longer!" Any hydraulic system that has to earn a living has a filter in the system so why not give this benefit to your steering?

It is amazing how red the fluid stays without developing that ';metallic; sheen to it when a filter is used to catch all the little bits of metal in the sytem...

David

There is a membrane filter type thing in the bottom of the round ZF reservoirs. I read (on here i think) it's a service item so replaced mine a few months ago. (I broke the old one up to have a look inside and it was fairly choked with goo). Not sure if the aftermarket aluminium reservoirs have internal filters, if not an external one would be essential

Both the race Freelander have modified factory coolers due to it over heating the ATF.

The 90 used to suffer on events with the fluid boiling up all the time with the big tyres and my driving style. ;)

Its the work the pump and box are doing not the engine...

Thanks all, it makes for some interesting reading, I think a big cooler is the go then, and I like the idea of the filter, will look into the a bit more, as it certainly can`t hurt to throw one in at the same time, and it will also increase the capacity a bit more.

As Mark90 mentioned, gearing is`nt the problem, I need to keep the TD5 reving pretty hard in the sand, it sucks all the power you have and more on a decent climb in soft sand.