Competent speaker/audio setup advice.

41 minutes ago, Geojake said:

@L19MUD I love youridiculous approach haha! The fabrication behind the cubby is nice, however I'm currently in the process of cutting mine out, so will probably need to go under the cubby box for amp/sub/whatever i go for. I am also looking at a car play double din- I think if i didn't buy one, i'd be forever wishing i did. The Pioneer or the JVC seem best priced and can get for 250ish if you look hard 👀.

MUD sell a cubby box mount which has a sub in it I think

The other thing worth considering is one of these Amp/Sub combined units. Good value for money and small. My mate has one in a 110 under the rear seats and the sound from it is impressive considering the size of it.

https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-pioneer-ts-wx130da_p-40599.htm

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

MUD sell a cubby box mount which has a sub in it I think

The other thing worth considering is one of these Amp/Sub combined units. Good value for money and small. My mate has one in a 110 under the rear seats and the sound from it is impressive considering the size of it.

https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-pioneer-ts-wx130da_p-40599.htm

That's the type of unit I'm going for in the MUD box, the combination with the amp is essential for me. 

I like seeing how people have cracked this problem for themselves, two very different setups already but both do the job. It just shows there isn't one approach to fit all needs.

9 minutes ago, Geojake said:

@L19MUD tablet style is great..... but £800!?? Steep. Especially for a car so easy to enter!

I know....they also do an EVO62 and EVO82 version. The 82 is an 8 inch screen and is £600. I might go for that tbh

I have a cheap set of 2-way speakers in the front.

The tweeters are mounted on top of the dash (just like Puma Location).
The subs are installed in the seatbases (facing forward). I've insulated and sound deadened the seatbases. The volume that's available for those speakers is awesome! No extra amplifiers or subs needed!

Furthermore I've installed some MudStuff rear speaker panels with some fitting speakers)

I have a double-din Raptor Dashboard with a Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB radio. I've filtered out  the bass to the rear speakers because that's useless with the limited space that's in the Mudstuff panels; that would just rattle.

pretty happy with that, even at 120km/h I can enjoy my music. 

Edited by doezel

1 hour ago, doezel said:

pretty happy with that, even at 120km/h I can enjoy my music.

Mate. I wish i could go that fast :hysterical: i keep her at a steady 95kmh. Any faster and I can't hear myself think! And this is AFTER sound deadening it.

Edited by Geojake
  • Like 1

UPDATE: okay, so I've just ordered the Mud UK console, 2x 13cm Pioneer speakers and 2x tweeters, & a JVC double din head unit for the front.

I'll start with that and then add the subwoofer and rear speakers as I go along.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, L19MUD said:

Personally I really dislike where a double DIN stereo ends up on a MUD dash or in the Puma configuration. I think it ends up too low and takes your eyes from the road. That is why before I had a flip out screen in the top position on the MUD dash - that positioning makes it much easier to see and use, especially for Navigation. 

I agree! In the mudstuff dash the screen is vertical; hard to see. (and rattles because of plastic)

That's why I like the Raptor dash so much (below is my dash, I just have a pioneer headunit now)

Carplay with Waze navigation is perfect!!!

defender-s111-double-din-console-dash-3.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, doezel said:

I agree! In the mudstuff dash the screen is vertical; hard to see. (and rattles because of plastic)

That's why I like the Raptor dash so much (below is my dash, I just have a pioneer headunit now)

Carplay with Waze navigation is perfect!!!

defender-s111-double-din-console-dash-3.

I'm just not a fan of that Rator dash either! I don't have a problem with the mud dash rattling, it is only the face that is plastic as it has a metal cage at the sides and back.

I am hoping what I plan to do will work out!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

I'm just not a fan of that Rator dash either! I don't have a problem with the mud dash rattling, it is only the face that is plastic as it has a metal cage at the sides and back.

I am hoping what I plan to do will work out!

There is indeed a metal cage in the mudstuff dash; but the radio is only connected to plastic. And you have to like the look of the raptor dash. I quite like it (and it matches with all the other raptor dashparts)...

IMG_1473.jpeg

35 minutes ago, doezel said:

There is indeed a metal cage in the mudstuff dash; but the radio is only connected to plastic. And you have to like the look of the raptor dash. I quite like it (and it matches with all the other raptor dashparts)...

Your truck looks sweet! I like stainless theme! I have the same steering wheel but in black- I love it!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, doezel said:

Nice setup. I like the steering wheel...but it is on the wrong side of the truck :P

I have the Mud UK sub locker with the Phoenix Gold 10" subwoofer, 3in1 speakers at the back, composet at the front, JBL amplifier and the Alpine ilx-f903d 🤤 Love that Alpine, 9", Apple Carplay, rear view camera on it. The front and back speakers are pretty cheap, they sound good but no decent low so the Phoenix Gold subwoofer supplies the low, it doesn't bang all the doors loose but it just fills the 'room' with the missing low frequencies. It's also very neat tucked away under the cubby box and the cubby box now has the correct height.

IMG_8463.jpg

IMG_9026.jpg

IMG_9027.jpg

Edited by Koen110
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Koen110 said:

I have the Mud UK sub locker with the Phoenix Gold 10" subwoofer, 3in1 speakers at the back, composet at the front, JBL amplifier and the Alpine ilx-f903d 🤤 Love that Alpine, 9", Apple Carplay, rear view camera on it. The front and back speakers are pretty cheap, they sound good but no decent low so the Phoenix Gold subwoofer supplies the low, it doesn't bang all the doors loose but it just fills the 'room' with the missing low frequencies. It's also very neat tucked away under the cubby box and the cubby box now has the correct height.

That looks great! I am going to get the Pioneer version purely because everything else I have is Pioneer. The specs look very similar

Gosh - these Pioneer and Alpine units are lovely but are really pricey!! For those who dont have the dosh to spare (like me!), you can acheive very similar with a cheap tablet (an old Nexus 7 is a nice size) and either an 'aux in' on a normal headunit or a hidden amp. You can remove the tablet that way too so it gets around the poor security of a defender!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reb78 said:

Gosh - these Pioneer and Alpine units are lovely but are really pricey!! For those who dont have the dosh to spare (like me!), you can acheive very similar with a cheap tablet (an old Nexus 7 is a nice size) and either an 'aux in' on a normal headunit or a hidden amp. You can remove the tablet that way too so it gets around the poor security of a defender!

I'm bundling it up into the total cost and trying not to think of it! I figure this should get me up to date for the next 10 years of ownership at least

3 hours ago, doezel said:

The left side is the right side!
I'm sure Koen110 agrees with me....

I spend most of the year in Africa, so for me there is no right or wrong side haha! I think we are pretty unique in the way we us Brits can swap sides pretty easily- something most of my colleagues from the Americas cannot understand!

Me proving you can fit anything into a  Land Cruiser 76:

image.png.47bf5149992e110d6897e9dfa9d40c60.png

• Like 2

I enlarged the original speaker holes in my lower dash, and with the aid of some vinyl covered MDF spacers able to fit a pair of 5.25" Kicker speakers.
They are very shallow for the diameter and put out some very good sounds.

These run off an elderly Sony bluetooth head unit. This is all I have in my 110 CSW, although I think some rear mounted speakers may get added. That way the kids can hear the tunes and I can still hear SWMBO :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kicker-DS-13cm-5-25-130mm-200-Watts-2-Way-Car-Coaxial-Front-Rear-Door-Speakers/174232849534?

image.png.0d0b0a507ff677dc1d0d16315304d8b7.png

image.png.b45b2ebfbec10d6cfbdeab8a3cc1d7bb.png

Do they even have RHD Defenders? 😁

Yes these Alpine/Pioneer units are expensive and I too doubted a lot but in the end, I wanted Apple CarPlay because it is such a huge benefit. The standard UI / operating system on these units are rubbish, always have and always will + they don't get updated so after a few years the look is so outdated. But then you plug in the iPhone (or Android phone) and BAM, Apple Carply or Android Car, a modern UI that looks super nice and best feature of them all, if they want to add features to for example CarPlay, you just get an new iOS version for your iPhone and next time you plug in the phone in the car, you get the updated CarPlay, your head unit doesn't need an update, everything is 'streamed' from your phone.

I once tried to use the Alpine without Apple CarPlay and damn, like I said, the look and feel of the standard UI is just rubbish, it already felt like a head unit from 5 years ago! And the worst part was, it doesn't have navigation built-in! So you need Apple CarPlay or Android Car for navigation :)So they already knew that no one would use the unit with those 2..

Okay. My MUD console arrived today. Haven’t installed it yet, just placed it on dash. BUT, playing with the idea of maybe using a Galaxy Tab tablet with a wireless Car Play adaptor? I Velcro’d it onto my dash as a test and quite enjoyed it.

I do have a JVC head unit on order but maybe this a better way to go? 

C961D7EE-A7EB-4DF5-B0B3-5133C1A0BC97.jpeg

7388C31E-654D-4CD1-BEC6-C670E4208C43.jpeg

Edited by Geojake