Since today was a public holiday in ZA, couple of friends & I went to a nearby trail for some fun off-roading (https://www.tierkloof4x4.com/). 

They were in Defenders and I was able to keep up (with some rock-packing and spotter guidance). This is a fairly technical trail, and a few people on our local LR WhatsApp group were very surprised that I completed the whole trail!

The 90 has massive MT tyres and front & rear ARB lockers, the 110 is standard with regular MTs.

I would rate the trail a 4 in the dry, and 5+ in the wet. Thankfully it had stopped raining a few days ago, so the trail was damp but not wet/muddy. 

Here are some photos, the YouTube video will be up tomorrow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

If the RR does all the Defender does, does that mean the Pretender is going to be just as good off-road?

Bog standard, I reckon the L494 is anywhere between 20-10% less able than the Puma.

If the new Defender is anywhere between 10-20% better than the L494 - which, by all accounts it is with the better approach/departure angles & ground clearance - then yes, it will be just as good off-road, if not better.

I'm busy uploading my video to YouTube, will post it once it's processed. You will see how I have to take different lines to the Defenders, so you obviously have to drive it in a different way to a Defender.

14 hours ago, Naks said:

Video of the outing is up:

Nice video to watch. Too bad you took different lines to the black 110, some of the cross-axled stuff he struggled with you probably would've walked.

On that hard obstacle, looked like your front left was compressing a lot. Does the RRS have the front suspension cross-linking?

2 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Nice video to watch. Too bad you took different lines to the black 110, some of the cross-axled stuff he struggled with you probably would've walked.

On that hard obstacle, looked like your front left was compressing a lot. Does the RRS have the front suspension cross-linking?

Thanks! 

I would have used the same lines if I had ATs on, but with road tyres I had to look for rocks to get the best grip. On the loose soil, these tyres just don't get any grip. 

Yes, I think all the modern LRs have cross-linked suspension, both front and rear. But I could be wrong. 

Yeah, makes sense. Still impressive what it does on road tyres though.

I wonder if the new Defender will have any way of toggling the cross-linking. Seems to me that if here you were able to turn it off, the suspension may not have compressed as much with the other wheel hanging free, and you wouldn't have needed to stack rocks.

23 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Yeah, makes sense. Still impressive what it does on road tyres though.

I wonder if the new Defender will have any way of toggling the cross-linking. Seems to me that if here you were able to turn it off, the suspension may not have compressed as much with the other wheel hanging free, and you wouldn't have needed to stack rocks.

Thing is, that's exactly how a solid axle behaves, so LR was trying to 'replicate' that behaviour with the cross-linking.

At least that's how I understand it.

5 hours ago, Naks said:

Thing is, that's exactly how a solid axle behaves, so LR was trying to 'replicate' that behaviour with the cross-linking.

At least that's how I understand it.

If I remember correctly the cross-linking is only on each "axle" rather than between front and rear. Had a quick scan through the L322 workshop manual and there's no mention of cross-linking between axles but there is mention of "front cross-link valve" which implies to me that it's only between the axles.

3 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

If I remember correctly the cross-linking is only on each "axle" rather than between front and rear. Had a quick scan through the L322 workshop manual and there's no mention of cross-linking between axles but there is mention of "front cross-link valve" which implies to me that it's only between the axles.

yes, you are correct - the cross-linking is only on each axle, hence why I understood it to mimic the behaviour of a solid axle