Buying overseas

Anderzander

Just curious: Have people here bought things abroad and had them posted here to save money?

A week or two back I was looking at diffs on summit racing - they are about £100 each cheaper. Postage is £86 - though free to a US address.

I once had something sent to a friend in the states for him to post on to me - and he didn’t quite get the idea and left the original invoice on the packaging, so I got a rather larger duty bill. 

If he was was to send me a Christmas present though ... it’s quite a lot of money to save.

What’s everyone’s thoughts ? 

No idea how this will work from Jan 1 onwards.

Now, what you suggest is under EU law forbidden.

( he didn’t quite get the idea and left the original invoice on the packaging,)

Sometimes less expensive, sometimes not.

Warranty is problem.

If the goods are declared such with their correct value then you will pay duty and VAT. You can’t avoid this as they are held automatically, you are informed and asked to pay. The Post Office held my purchase sent out to the UK by Australia Post.

To avoid having to pay means to falsely declare and as said above, that’s not legal. It’s like everything in life. You make a choice.

Speeding, using a mobile when driving, paying cash when you know that the seller should be recovering VAT. It goes on and on.

I know someone who proudly states how he managed to avoid paying much personal tax, and VAT through his working life but now happily draws his State pension ( not me I hasten to add). 

So ‘at the end of the day’ it’s up to you.

I have bought a fair few car based things from America over the years. Never had a problem really.

Even paying the duty it still worked out less expensive, but the exchange rate is not so favourable now, and also, C&E seem to be checking parcels a lot more. I guess due to the massive increase in international personal/private individual commerce ?

You can get away with some of the declared value if the seller will do it, but please dont think the officers are stupid !

Do you have a friend with a big suitcase ?

In spite of what I said above, I did buy a petrol engine chainsaw in the USA. Walked into Kmart and bought it and a holdall type bag for it. Then checked it in at the airport desk when I came home. Didn’t think about it really. It was a fair few years ago.