More tat to add to pile: Just treated myself to a 'Smiths Oil Check'

Landrover17H

The top knots’ knowledge is usually confined to coffee - something like a decaf skinny latte with a twist of ginger and a sprinkle of nutmeg, with a side order of metrosexual and hold the self respect.  Almost all my peers in this compound have these Gucci coffee machines with the little pots that cost a stupid amount (machine and pots alike), and some even have miniature battery powered versions that they can bring to work.  I’m content with instant coffee, but being a proper Brit, I tend to drink tea (except costa and Starbucks, because their tea is vile).  I seem to be single handedly trying to keep this British stereotype alive, here... 

• Like 1

Where is the best place to find such interesting articles for sale?

Interesting? Dunno, I'm told I have a god-given talent. Nobody ever dared question my ability to spot mediocrity; standing waist-deep in grey-mist, before.

Some have it, some don't.

Tea's a 'kin religion in my book. If you'll pay £3.50 for coffee because the seller makes you suck it thru' a slot, that's an IQ fail in itself.

"Thank you Sir, you are an utter cnut, that's £3.50 please".

Edited by Landrover17H

It’s an admirably simple concept.  The flaw is that while a low level on a dipstick will give you an indication if the next journey is safe or not without topping up, and gives an idea of how much oil to pour, this device is binary and you’d need the dipstick to guide how much oil to add.  If there was a way of having this in parallel with the dipstick, then that’d be really useful.

You could be over-thinking this? I've not got anything more than the indicator end to mine. The dipstick-proper hasn't survived. But clearly, it's a pipe for a dipstick, with markers and maybe a star-lock washer? Use as you like, use  as you would any other, or not? Maybe do as I see it, cobble one into the transfer-case using the Roverdrive/Roamerdrive gadget; or just below the oil-line, put a bulkhead/ elbow-fitting on the crankcase. Run nylon-tube from there.

Thing is, now I've studied this thing, to call it 'shonk' is not truly fair. I'm miffed. it's quite clear it'll do what it says it'll do.

I like the way the blurb simply assumes the buyer has a file! I mean, (stands back) can you imagine it? The thing is, it's not even in question, they know the buyer has one. You can't currently buy self-assembly 'anything' without the manufacturer, for fear of returns, forced to supply the Allen /screwdriver or whatever to the "I'm entitled" buyer.

Another world...

Edited by Landrover17H

It was different back then.  What kind of a man in the 60s or 70s couldn’t put up a shelf, plumb a sink, move a radiator, strip and rebuild a bicycle or fix their lawn mower?  Nowadays, most haven’t a clue.  Look at Halfrauds and how they have a bike repair section so that numpties can pay silly money to have an inner tube replaced or the brakes adjusted!

I didn’t realise you were planning to use the indicator wotsit for the transfer box.  It’ll be ideal  for that, or for the gear box, as their measurement system of a plain filler plug is just as binary but a damned sight more of a faff and mess.  You could split the vacuum hose to the two level plugs so that your one indicator can check the gear box and the transfer box simultaneously.

The icing on the cake comes when I've found anything by Ronco , K-Tel, those '-O-matic,  'As seen on TV'  items of wonder. You know the sort of thing... the K-tel LP flipper, or the Ronco Buttoneer should do nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ja3NxeLhWg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAOPkjRFM24

Edited by Landrover17H
  • Haha 1

But the thing is, the ultimate hilarity add-on for any vehicle, is one we don't need to source as an accessory. Can't be many vehicles that still had one on showroom floors in 1982. I don't know about you, but done right there's not much with more comedy potential than a starting-handle.

Lest I remind you, and those that sit before me are like leftovers for back alley mongrels.  I alone sit upon the high seat, to which all others must kneel. For it is written, I... yes, yours truly own a Smiths Oil Check.

• Like 2

The inability to use a starting handle in my biggest regret of fitting the Tdi.  I had to use it a few times when I first bought my 109,  not in great shape, in 1992.  And yes, my girlfriend and my parents thought it was a joke initially; in fact it was just a wind-up!😆

• Like 1

Excellent thread. As a collector of anything utterly pointless (now called 'Shonk') I am on the very edge of my seat in excitement, simply to see this gem working

Oh, and I have a beard. I have had for over 30 years. Sometimes it gets a trim, not too often mind. As for a top knot. No. It's all grade 1 - 3mm. Practical

• Like 1

I am on the very edge of my seat in excitement

You are? Really? You've a long wait. As it stands, I've been finding ever more ways to have sex with it.

Oh, and I have a beard. I have had for over 30 years

30 years you say? Poor you. Everyday, a beard is harassed and abused, together we can stop this.....  Very nice by the way. Well done you. That’s a hard thing for you to do, and you’ve done it. You ARE going to be so much happier. It’ll be nicer for you now it’s all out in the open.

Edited by Landrover17H

• 1 year later...