Mig Welder Spares

Bigj66

1 hour ago, Bigj66 said:

What’s causing these small indentations to form at the end of the bead?

I'm sure an adult can correct me but normally if it's right at the bead the craters are normally due to it being a bit too cold. The first welds looks a tad cold to me, the one you've cut has a smoother taper where it goes into the base metal rather than bulged. Perhaps bump up the voltage or wire speed a tad or if you're holding the torch a long ways away try holding it a little closer.

You might find it's OK if you weren't doing "spot" welds the whole time. When you want to tack something you usually need to bump things to give them a short-sharp zap.

• Thanks 1

If twiddling them won't fix it, then perhaps one of potentiometers has failed -probably less than a pound from RS/eBay.

You are right though, you can probably bypass it by shorting the wires on the back of one of them.

The control knobs seem to be attached directly to the PCB but I can check again.

CFDC6F54-8560-4815-B1E1-887BDF7BE40C.thumb.jpeg.b05abff08723a32e71acfa3811e6beda.jpeg

Glad I gave it the once over inside before I used it as the main power supply earth had become detached. Remade the connection before buttoning it all back up.

D79A0A04-D6F4-4F4E-B67D-E8BC495F8932.jpeg.c964da8020e9f1405d52e780be80b620.jpeg

They'll almost certainly just be knobs that slide onto potentiometers mounted directly on the PCB. It looks like there are a couple of screws in holding the PCB to the front panel - can you remove those and get a picture of the front of it? I'm guessing once you've removed the screws the knobs will just slide out.

20 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

They'll almost certainly just be knobs that slide onto potentiometers mounted directly on the PCB. It looks like there are a couple of screws in holding the PCB to the front panel - can you remove those and get a picture of the front of it? I'm guessing once you've removed the screws the knobs will just slide out.

Will do at some point. I can manage for now though and I’m on DIY duties today so Landrover play is suspended 🤦‍♂️