Mig Welder Spares

Bigj66

15 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Can you hear it trying to drive the wire? could be that it's not feeding if the wire isn't clamped.

No it wasn’t trying to feed even when I pulled the trigger 🙂

I’ll be outside again this evening so will do some more checks. It’s been sat for years so this isn’t entirely unexpected.

I’ve ordered the new parts anyway on the basis that I’ll get it working eventually 🤞

4 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Think you might need the pink wire....

It’s disconnected/broken at both ends. I can’t see where it would attach either. I have continuity between the two switch wires when it’s pushed.

An earth perhaps?

It works! I have a spark so that’s an improvement. When I depress the trigger the feed stops after about 4-5 seconds. Same period every time. Is that normal?

Contacts were a bit grubby so some electrical contact cleaner on those.

6BA9BADF-71D8-4F44-8528-75A501A62EB1.jpeg.128890f918dff9b2325ce1192bca1a63.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Dr Strangeglove said:

You may have a "spot" or "stitch" timer. It is what you would use on thinner gauge steels so that you weld, cool, weld, cool, etc

It may be worth trying to download a manual for it, or put a clear photo of the switches on this thread. Hopefully someone can let you know what each one does 

I’ve done just that 👍

Couldn’t find any local gas suppliers other than BOC so I opted for my nearest Hobbyweld dealer in Wrexham.

£70 deposit, £35 for the gas and £35 for delivery which although high, will just be a one off due to travel restrictions.

Ive gone for the Hobbyweld 5 which is good up to 7mm steel.

It will be here tomorrow.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bigj66 said:

Couldn’t find any local gas suppliers other than BOC so I opted for my nearest Hobbyweld dealer in Wrexham

Ah yes, I remember now, I tried them, nearest stockist was in Bristol, and they weren't interested in my custom!

2 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

@Bigj66 - sorry a bit too late but SGS have distributors in Colwyn Bay, Ruthin and Flint. I've switched from Hobbyweld to them because not only were they better value for money but also a damn sight closer now I've moved back to Wales.

https://www.sgsgases.co.uk/find-a-distributor/

Not to worry Ed, I’m sorted now and I expect it will be some time before I need a refill...

What’s causing these small indentations to form at the end of the bead?

I’ve tried adjusting speed and current but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. I can’t seem to switch off the timer either so it’s stopping itself and these are the longest runs I can do.

BED97012-A8D7-46B5-89F0-F3DCB45F46B8.jpeg.c16dd355be2676a3e9a23c85cb627f66.jpeg

Best crackle sound I achieved gave this. Look ok for penetration?

92492A50-6985-4D1B-B35C-51D5DFD4F9C6.jpeg.3d8ec069eb9f7fc078d26013e1844e12.jpeg

I'm sure a reasonably competent sparky could bypass the timer,welds look to be a bit on the cool side, your good crackle seems to be burnt in a bit better, not sure on the indents they don't look to be at the very end of weld so maybe your pulling back a bit too much of the timer issue is not allowing you to finish off, at the end of the day it's all practice and it does no harm to experiment with voltage and side speed  regards Stephen

Edited by Stellaghost
  • Like 1