Steering Wheel vs column vs steering box

Does anyone have any info to hand on the best way to set the alignment between steering box splines/uj's, the steering column with steering lock cutout, and finally the steering wheel. All have been seperated for the rebuild but not convinced they are behaving properly.

I got back home after MOT and noted the steering wheel is pointing at the 2 o' clock position when box is centred/wheels straight and level, the cancelling of the indicators is biased (maybe because of the wheel. However should the column lock (with the key out) in a certain position?

Pete

There is a 'centring of steering box' paragraph in the defender workshop manual, IIRC I posted it in a thread on here ages ago.

see the manual page in my reply in https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/53212-steering-wheel-will-not-return-to-center/

to lock my 110's column I have to turn the steering wheel about 60 degrees to the left, then the steering lock jumps into place pretty sure the locking part & slot are not centred in the inner column

Thanks for the replies, i haven't had the box apart or the drop arm off so those will be fine. Similarly the drag link han't changed length so i'm happy that far. It's the splines from the steering box out to the column and it's position and the steering wheel index position on the column i'm more worried about. Ralph says his locks around the 60 degree point so i'' have a look at that.

Pete

Thanks Ralph, sorted the issue, had the wheel off. Turns out i'd got the cancelling slots vertical which is correct, but the small indent/arrow was pointing to the right (wiper side switches). It should be pointing to the left (indicator stalk). Recentred the slots to the left/vertical and fitted the wheel to match the road wheels and all is good again. The only job for a much warmer day is to spin the column locking point to 12 oclock, which means. beaking the uj apart once parked up.

Pete

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pete3000 said:

Thanks Ralph, sorted the issue, had the wheel off. Turns out i'd got the cancelling slots vertical which is correct, but the small indent/arrow was pointing to the right (wiper side switches). It should be pointing to the left (indicator stalk). Recentred the slots to the left/vertical and fitted the wheel to match the road wheels and all is good again. The only job for a much warmer day is to spin the column locking point to 12 oclock, which means. beaking the uj apart once parked up.

Pete

Coincidentally, Mike made a BritRest video a few days ago about the different types of steering wheel and column and showed exactly that pointer in it, while talking about the cancelling collar that clips on the back of the wheel.

Glad it helped Pete, I tried to get my column to sit at a lesser angle when locked but couldn't get it any better than in the video.  I suppose removing the steering wheel & disconnecting the UJ's then locking the column & then refitting wheel & UJ's would bea good start, may try again when the summer gets here.

Well the MOT was the biggest acheivement yesterday, which went well without any advisories. The brakes are much improved. It's all the little jobs to sort out now. Today sees the steering wheel and the anti slosh sorted on the fuel gauge. From breaking it all down last Feb it has gone back together ata steady pace. Next will be reinstating the 24v system and the paint job.

Pete