The 18J 2.5 Diesel

Hi all.  I have a 1987 110 recently back from Singapore - engine out of the vehicle and currently going back together with replacement of all the seals and gaskets.

So I understand that the 18J is the army version of the 19J, but can anybody tell me what the power output would be? 

Thanks

Phill

Edited by Phill S

Aah - I've seen this comment on the forum when doing searches before asking the question. Yes, there is an 18J. I've got one! It's a military version.

And I should have mentioned it's an NA engine. I'm guessing it's the 19J without the turbo

Edited by Phill S

Can only think 18J was a special order for Singapore military, or its a new prefix to distinguish rebuilt 12J n/a diesels for same country. the brick red engine block was made to 19J spec, so if its been rebuilt with a 19J bock then that may explain the 18J prefix.

Ok guys, here's my engine number:

20210420_114907.thumb.jpg.8bb4ce010c712dc0d15ee1c137137269.jpg

There's a whole series of pics of the engine stripdown here:

https://www.facebook.com/The-Land-Rover-Hard-Top-Project-169579534683439/photos/pcb.227557272218998/227556098885782/

This is a place I keep pics so that I can refer back when down at the yard. It's not really a blog, and certainly not an attempt at a how-to guide. I've only been a Land Rover owner for a couple of months!

Anyway, it's only done 3,557 miles, and from memory the engine has done around 1,100 hours running time. It was a radio vehicle and I guess it spent a lot of time sitting around not doing very much. 

So it begins to sound like it's a 19J block but in NA config. Reasonable to assume then it will be about 67BHP, like a 12J?

Cheers

Phill

On 4/19/2021 at 11:34 PM, western said:

Can only think 18J was a special order for Singapore military, or its a new prefix to distinguish rebuilt 12J n/a diesels for same country. the brick red engine block was made to 19J spec, so if its been rebuilt with a 19J bock then that may explain the 18J prefix.

From the Facebook photos, it looks like that is exactly what it is - you can see the undrilled port areas for the two turbo oil hoses and the 19j exhaust down pipe lower bracket in the block casting, so a 12J with 19J spec casting.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey Phill, I'm glad that I found your post as I'm also currently restoring 3 similar ex-military land rovers from Singapore. The photos and information on your Facebook page are extremely interesting, but now making me think there's going to be much more work required than I initially thought!

Would you be able to share the part numbers for the alternator, water pump and vacuum pump if they're visible? Also of mine are in bad condition and have stretched. I've really struggled finding the right sizes from the VIN number (this just returns parts for a 12J engine)

Best of luck with the project and I'll share a picture of the vehicles im working on soon

Dan

Edited by danicklin