Deadlocks...

Hi

Just thinking idly about Defender security, and was wondering why nobody has come up with a set of deadlocking door catches similar to have been fitted to every other car in the past 30 years, or if the defender door catch fitments are shared with anything else in the rover range that does have deadlocking? That would stop the obvious route to get in of smashing a window and unlocking a door. 

Most of the deadlocks that I have seen are van type bolts with an extra keyhole, which are a bit overkill for most people due to the need to drill large holes!

Also thinking idly - are the rear catches the same as the fronts? Just wondering if you could fit rear locks to the front and trigger the child locks with the solenoid effectively disabling the internal handle. That coupled with remote locking (and no door key locks) would bump up the security a whole load...

Jon

54 minutes ago, =jon= said:

Also thinking idly - are the rear catches the same as the fronts? Just wondering if you could fit rear locks to the front and trigger the child locks with the solenoid effectively disabling the internal handle. That coupled with remote locking (and no door key locks) would bump up the security a whole load...

Isn't there a requirement that the front doors are able to be opened from the inside? 

Yep - I've seen those but they require fairly major surgery to fit..

I was curious as to either why nobody has adapted a 'standard' door catch for deadlocking (or retrofit one from another model), or why LR never bothered with them, despite fitting them to Discos / RRs etc and the latter Defenders coming with all the mod cons like remote locking which would make it easy to operate..

If you secure the hinges and prevent the doors being opened it adds a reasonable layer of security as trying to get through the windows is a pain, and the interior is cramped so trying to defeat something like an X-Eng pedal lock would be much harder.. 

Pre one-piece steel doors, you can bend the tops down to gain access; a deadlock will just make it slightly more annoying, not impregnable. You can pull the side windows out of a CSW, so deadlocks would just mean more irritation rather than proper security.

(I don't think Leicestershire Police have recovered from the embarrassment of having the doors and bonnet nicked from the loaned LR110 outside Market Bosworth nick. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3763756/Land-Rover-parked-outside-base-stripped-bonnet-five-doors.html)

I don't think you'd ever make it impregnable - but the more irritating you make it the less likely they are to bother, if you stop the doors being able to be unlocked with a spoon or easily opened by bending the door and opening the lock catch then it's much more of a PITA - trying to crawl through a broken window at chest high covered in broken glass is much less fun for a tea leaf and much more obvious...