3 bolt or 4 bolt steering box for 200tdi 110

hurbie

hello all , 

as some of you may know , i'm building the "eurover 110" , one question i can't solve at the moment is do i go with a 3bolt steering box , or is a 4 bolt really a beter option .

i have the (used) original 3 bolt from a french LHD 110 (probebly around 1984) , and i have a 4 bolt from a salvage yard , (should be from a discovery 2) both need rebuilding , but wich is the better/stronger option.

i know the main difference is a brass bush in the 3 bolt , vs a bearing in a 4 bolt. 

what about the hosses , the engine is a 200tdi (defender spec) , do hoses exist for a 200tdi pump to a 3 bolt ? or do i need to get a custom hose made (or swap to a older steering pump).

so , i need some advice 🙂 

Not that I'm aware of. The three bolt that was on our 110 looked to be original so 30 years and 150k miles. I changed it because the drop arm kept coming loose. The 6 bolt is supposed to be heavy duty and is a straight swap for the four bolt but again that's metric (off the shelf for a 200tdi) hoses so doesn't fit three bolt hoses.

Mike

Pretty sure a 3 bolt drop arm only fits that box, a drop arm for a 4 bolt also fits a 6 bolt, I know that as my 110 had a 6 bolt box & I reused the drop arm on the replacement 4 bolt box.

There are LHD & RHD versions you would need to find part number QFW000030 which is for LHD vehicles

new drop arms over here on  Brit-car website  --- 

https://www.brit-car.co.uk/search.php?query=4+bolt+drop+arm+&xBrand=&part_type=&xSupplierID=&product-sort=&xPerPage=10

i think i need to investigate some more , so far i have found lots of different partnumbers (with lot's of superceded numbers with them) , and some info even mention that 3 and 4 bolt droparms are the same ....

i did found the QFW000030 .

• Like 1

My understanding was that 3-bolt and 4-bolt boxes (both Adwest) share the same drop arm, however the pipe fittings are different with the former being imperial of some kind (presumably BSP or similar) and the latter metric. 

The 6-bolt boxes are made by Gemmer and have a different spline shape so the drop arms are different. They do however share the same pipe fitting threads as the later 4-bolt Adwest boxes, so can be swapped easily so long as you get the arm. I swapped a 6-bolt for a 4-bolt in my 200Tdi years ago, pipes went straight over no bother. 

Now I'm not sure about my post above, I think I scrapped the 6 bolt box & its drop arm. 

this one says it fits4 & 6 bolt box. https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/209681/5497/drop_arm__man_4_bolt_pas_6_bolt_box

&

this one says 3 & 4 bolt box https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/418921/0/power_steering_drop_arm___joint_left_hand_drive__3_4_bolt___defender___discovery_1