Who makes a good intercooler ?

Mo Murphy

• 1 year later...

Great opinions.

Got a few questions before I make the decision:

Data:

1) My Defender is a 2000 TD5 but has a 2.8 TGV instead. The intercooler and radiator I have now are both standard 300Tdi and the intercooler looks a bit old from the outside, with twisted aluminium. Me Defender has no AC but I am planning to install one very soon so Ican´t go for the full width intercooler.

2) I want to fit a standard size, uprated intercooler and I am planning to slightly tweak the fuel pump afterwards.

Questions:

1) Do Brunel standard width intercoolers work with water or are they just "normal" (sorry for the terminology) intercoolers like allisport?

2) Do standard width Brunel and Allisport intercoolers offer better performance than the original 300 Tdi intercoolers or are only the full width intercoolers the ones that offer a significant advantage?

3) Will a standard width Allisport or Brunel intercooler fit easily when I replace my original 300Tdi intercooler or do they have different sizes and connections that can create a problem when installin?

4) Last but not least, do you thimk it is relatively safe to send have one of these two intercoolers shipped abroad (south America) or are they too delicate?

5) If you install an uprated intercooler and slightly tweak the fuel pump is it really important to install a EGT probe to measure the temperature or is that only really necessary when you increase the turbo boost?

Thanks a lot for your help

Cheers,

Santiago

4) Speaking as somebody who ships stuff in for a living, it will be fine if it is packed properly. If it is packed by a fool trying to get a bonus from the amount of parcel tape saved at the end of the week, it will probably get smashed. It is a perennial problem with getting stuff shipped overseas! (Not from either of the companies concerned I hasten to add - just a general comment on most suppliers!)

5) I would say yes as a mild tweak on the pump can send the EGT through the roof under certain conditions. See the thread in the tech archive for the fitting.

My vote goes to Allisport,

I had a good look around last year when i was in the market for an up grade and opted for them.

I had very good comms with them on the phone over the 4/5 calls that i made think i did speak with Andy once but the guy i dealt with was called..... sorry cannot remember but he was very nice and helpfull and that's why they got my custom.

As i couldn't make the Billing show last year he was kind enough to go out of his way and meet me in a chinese restaurant car park the night before the show where i exchanged my hard earned for :

full width intercooler

header tank

PAS tank

and he threw in a air filter for good measure.

They also did me a very good deal may i add {enough to warrant the 240mile round trip} :D

They will have been making a few good sales that weekend and didn't have to disrupt his evening to meet little old me !

This along with the excellant products that i had off them (still with no faults/issues after 15000 miles) is what i look for when i am parting with money.

Good luck to them in there new premises too :i-m_so_happy:

If any SA guys are reading this, we get our uprated intercoolers from Universal Coolers in Pretoria. Superb welding, etc. They also do all our oil coolers and other stuff. We are considering getting them to make alloy TD5 radiators in place of the alloy/plastic standard unit. They make made-to-measure radiators for our GM V8 conversions.

Great opinions.

Got a few questions before I make the decision:

Data:

1) My Defender is a 2000 TD5 but has a 2.8 TGV instead. The intercooler and radiator I have now are both standard 300Tdi and the intercooler looks a bit old from the outside, with twisted aluminium. Me Defender has no AC but I am planning to install one very soon so Ican´t go for the full width intercooler.

2) I want to fit a standard size, uprated intercooler and I am planning to slightly tweak the fuel pump afterwards.

Questions:

1) Do Brunel standard width intercoolers work with water or are they just "normal" (sorry for the terminology) intercoolers like allisport?

2) Do standard width Brunel and Allisport intercoolers offer better performance than the original 300 Tdi intercoolers or are only the full width intercoolers the ones that offer a significant advantage?

3) Will a standard width Allisport or Brunel intercooler fit easily when I replace my original 300Tdi intercooler or do they have different sizes and connections that can create a problem when installin?

4) Last but not least, do you thimk it is relatively safe to send have one of these two intercoolers shipped abroad (south America) or are they too delicate?

5) If you install an uprated intercooler and slightly tweak the fuel pump is it really important to install a EGT probe to measure the temperature or is that only really necessary when you increase the turbo boost?

Thanks a lot for your help

Cheers,

Santiago

1) Brunel make an uprated (larger core) intercooler that fits in the standard intercooler housing and is an air inducted intercooler.

Brunel also make a coolcharger (water intercooler) that uses small full width air inducted core across the front of the radiator with the water exchange

tank fitted where the standard intercooler is situated.

2) Both improve performance over standard.

3) Both should fit without any modifications, though I would take the opportunity to fit new silicone pipes which I am sure either company can supply.

4) The packaging I received from Brunel was excellent with at least 100mm of bubble wrap protection all around the unit being shipped, all in a strong

cardboard box.

5) I do not believe it is essential to have an EGT Gauge with a minor fuel pump tweak, however I do have one and have never seen the EGT go above 525

degrees. I have yet to test it on a real mountain pass. My Boost Gauge runs at about 14 doing a steady 60mph and peaks at 18.5 when pushed. I have

not touched the turbo boost as I don't see the point with a Variable Waste Gate Turbo as fitted standard to my 2.8TGV.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

John

Questions:

1) Normal.

2) Yes they do offer better performance. In my experience a good one that replaces the standard one can be better than a full width. Particularly when off roading as the big intercooler is very close to the radiator as it runs along the front of it. This can mean the intercooler gets hot and the airflow is slower as the air has to pass through the equivalent of two radiators.

3) Easy fit.

4) If packed properly, yes it should be fine.

5) Should be fine, but the intercooler suppler will tell you.

Personally I would go for Brunnell. Great workmanship and a friendly service. But each to their own.

Richard

Edited to add: Headhunter beat me to it. :)