Mayflower PTO winch is stuck, won't turn. Breaking shear pins.

Mudden

Hi. So I have a factory mounted Mayflower Automotive MK-III P.T.O. drum winch on my Land Rover 109 Series III 1977.
I tried to use the winch a while back but it didn’t move, I checked the PTO under the lid in the center seat and noticed that the shear pin was replaced by a broken off thin steel nail. I put in a M6 bolt instead of a shear pin (steel grade 8.8) and tried to turn the winch.

At first, the bolt snapped immediately, so I replaced it with a new bolt, this time i was very gently releasing the clutch, tried to go first gear, then reverse, then first, then reverse and soon the drum started to unroll the winch cable. I then went in to first gear again and the drum started to take up the winch.

I went out of the car with the winch turning, checked the drive shaft and it was spinning nice without any strange sounds. I tried to disengage the winch clutch (big lever), then engaged the winch clutch, just to test the functions. It worked properly for a couple of seconds, the drum stopped and started as it should, no strange sounds or vibrations but suddenly the shear pin (M6 bolt) snapped once more.
I replaced it, and went for another try, snapped again. And again, and again…

The winch seems to be completely stuck, I can’t move the drive shaft nor the worm gear at all. Whats my options here? Disassemble? Go for a M6 12.9 steel grade quality to try to force it loose?
When replacing the oil in the gear housing it first ran out like 2-3 dl of water… It’s now rinsed with diesel and filled with gear oil. Could the water have destroyed some bearing?

Any thoughts?

Short video showing the movement of the drum
https://youtu.be/afEco3V4bh4

Winch1.jpg

As above. The sheer pin is to prevent expensive and probably NLA parts from breaking.

Disassemble, replace bearings, re gasket, reassemble.

• 3 weeks later...