Thoughts on wiring repairs

Simon_CSK

I have a Range Rover Sport with a big chunk of wiring loom across the back of the engine that has disintegrated by fire and needs to be replaced. 

I have the full wiring loom and another for spares if need be.

In order to test the running of the car I was thinking about cutting out the burnt wiring and using the spares one to do a temporary repair to test the cars systems. The full repair will probably require the dash to be removed to get access to some of the multiplugs. Have done this recently to change an airbag on the dash so that doesn't necessarily phase me it is just time and effort.

The question I have, and I have reasonably good soldering skills, is if the temporory repair worked why not leave it there permanently? What would the dangers be if the soldering is done properly and everything is shrink wrapped?

56 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

straight through crimp connections. 

My father was a Chartered Electrical Engineer if I even suggested using crimps, and he avoided car electrics like the plauge, he would be spinning in his grave. 

55 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

But, soldered and glue lined heatshrinked joints won't fail in your lifetime.

Make sure you stagger the joints,so it doesn't leave a massive lump in the loom.

So you consider a soldered solution a permanent fix?

The third option would be to put a coonector in where you make the splice- It will obviously take up space but might offer you some easier flexability to upgrade.

In this instance i would however probably solder, but it would need to be sleeved with adhesive lined heatshrink and well supported to ensure that vibration won't affect the joint.

9 minutes ago, Superpants said:

In this instance i would however probably solder, but it would need to be sleeved with adhesive lined heatshrink and well supported to ensure that vibration won't affect the joint.

The section of wiring, and I haven't yet seen the burnt wiring, appears to be across the rear of the engine bay. The Section of wiring is within a plastic conduit that is bolted across the lip of the scuttle panel. I removed one this afternoon in a matter of minutes.

When I chopped up my 110 loom on the rewire I did I came across joints that were crimped, soldered and glue lined heat shrinked from manufacture and were still good 32 years on. I replicated these joints as required. 

The picture below is one such joint with the glue lined heat shrink removed. 

Edit: since my rewire, I've changed my mind on connectors. I now view them as a potential point of failure and would only use them where absolutely necessary. 

IMG_20210103_125524.thumb.jpg.7febaa647cd318c58f0ced6774fd083d.jpg

44 minutes ago, Simon_CSK said:

My father was a Chartered Electrical Engineer if I even suggested using crimps, and he avoided car electrics like the plauge, he would be spinning in his grave

Not sure I understand that comment. What sort of crimped connections are you referring to? There are many in a vehicle as well as plenty of other places too. 

Edit just read the post from @monkie and they are good examples.

During my apprenticeship I was told 2 things relating to this.

First never solder auto wiring, but as above it will if done right not fail in you expected use.

Second before soldering you must have a secure mechanical joint.

Given this the crimped, soldered and glued sleeve is IMO the best option. If you can't get that then loop and twist the two ends together and then solder and cover with a glue sleeve.

4 hours ago, missingsid said:

First never solder auto wiring, but as above it will if done right not fail in you expected use.

Second before soldering you must have a secure mechanical joint.

Given this the crimped, soldered and glued sleeve is IMO the best option. If you can't get that then loop and twist the two ends together and then solder and cover with a glue sleeve.

I was taught to solder by my father so my skills are good as is my wiring skills. 

I have two full wiring looms however I have chopped some small lenths of wires and plugs off one to sort nother car so I intended to use that to do the temporary repair. 

5 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Bowie

Placed and order on Ebay this morning.

Was thinking about using these sleeves but soldering the wires together first just to be extra sure of the joint.

I haven't seen the car yet am picking it up on Tuesday so I don't know the full extent of the damage other than the 3 photos I have posted.