2nd Throttle return spring

Jon W

any spring with a hook at each end that can pull the throttle arm closed would do the job. one end could be fixed to the a bracket secured under one of the timing case front cover bolts that  sits inline with the pump, thinking a L shaped bracket so the short leg is under the bolt head & the long leg over the top of the timing case with the spring hooked on throttle arm & bracket so it acts to shut the throttle, when foot is off the accelerator pedal.

this spring that is used on clutch pedal pre 300Tdi should work 

https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/80360/0/pedal_spring_series_11___111___defender

15 hours ago, Jon W said:

I am entering a competition at the end of the month and the rules require a 2nd throttle return spring. Any advice on how to do this on a 200tdi?? and what type of spring to use?

Thanks

Jon 

What rules are you running too? In most cases a standard tdi should be fine. The rule was introduced for rod operated throttles on carbs. Where the linage could fail leaving the throttle open. This isn’t the case with a tdi. As it has a big spring on the injector pump. 

Who asks for this, The RAC Blue book doesn't. 

The TDi should already have two return springs though. One a metal spring and the other the rubber crommet covering the inner cable is concertinred so acts as a spring

OR thake a piece of knicker elastic and use that if the scrutiner is picky

I used to have this problem rallying my Imp that had twin Stromberg carbs

Edited by mmgemini

I thought the spring on the pedal and spring on the injection pump was likely to be sufficient. 

Competition is the BAMA mud masters

Guessing the squaddies don’t do any extra prep in order to compete the wolfs 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jon W said:

I thought the spring on the pedal and spring on the injection pump was likely to be sufficient. 

Competition is the BAMA mud masters

Guessing the squaddies don’t do any extra prep in order to compete the wolfs 

The spring on the pedal is no no. The RAC MSA blue book is very plain.  A spring on the throttle spindle tp shut the fuel in the case of a throttle break.

All UK competitions must be run under Blue Book rules except the organising club can have additional suplementry regulations

2 hours ago, mmgemini said:

The spring on the pedal is no no. The RAC MSA blue book is very plain.  A spring on the throttle spindle tp shut the fuel in the case of a throttle break.

All UK competitions must be run under Blue Book rules except the organising club can have additional suplementry regulations

Do you have a link to the specific MSUK reg?

5 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

https://www.motorsportuk.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/motorsport-uk-yearbook-2020.pdf - IIRC it was under section R, but may be superceded by the fuel regs

Thanks. I'll have to have a closer look, but if it is in section R that looks to be Rallying, so wouldn't probably apply for off road. It would need to be in section P for Cross Country.

969263642_Screenshot2021-10-11at1_54_31pm.png.36c988ed43f3e26f92ddfd945aec3d22.png

I've competed in Autumn Leaves twice, Saxon Express once, Bramley Express once and Road Master once - in a 200Tdi and I have never had to fit an extra return spring. Actually, thinking about it, I've never had to fit a return spring for competition in any of my diesel vehicles 

24 minutes ago, Jon W said:

That good to know, Thank you David, that will be sufficient for me then. Just didn't want to turn up and be turned away at last minute as Scotland is a long way to go. 

Thanks 

If you wanted to add an extra spring, it is easy. There should be some threaded holes infront of the injector pump on the timing case. Drill a small hole in a flat washer and bolt it on, drill a small hole in the lever on the pump and add a spring.