Fuel tank removal

Has anyone got any tips on how to get the fuel tank out of a 300TDI Defender 90. I have removed all 6 bolts and the front mounting bracket and the tank is free to move but the gap between the chassis rail and outer sill rail doesn't seem to be wide enough to get it out.  Is there a special way to angle the tank to allow it to be removed.  There is an outer sill rail bolted to the floor, does that have to be removed ?. I don't want to hammer it out as I cant hammer in the new tank.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

19 minutes ago, simonb said:

You may need to remove the frame that runs from the bulkhead to the rear of the seatbox/door pillar - under the door edge of the floor.

That is what I am now thinking as this is what the tank seems to be fouling on.

1 hour ago, Litch said:

Can't see the difficulty, mine fitted into position easily.........      😆

DSCF0023.JPG

Im glad I have a 110 if that is the extent you need to go to remove the fuel tank from a 90😊

14 hours ago, pete3000 said:

I've done this job, it's a pig. remove or loosen the sill bolts and the upright bolts x2 into the seatbox. The other "fun part" is re attaching the filler and breather pipes through the wheelarch.

Pete

I removed the sill and the tank dropped out 😊

Thanks all for the advice given.

8 hours ago, Hawklord said:

I removed the sill and the tank dropped out 😊

Thanks all for the advice given.

no problem, it wasn't even my 90 i volunteered to help with. Mind you similar levels of fun can be had trying to remove and fit older 110 tanks without removing the sender/pickup first