Can relay mounts beneath main fuse panel be refitted with new wires?

1991 110 CSW originally with a V8 and now with a 300Tdi.

As in the title.  I need to replace some of the wires currently located in these relay holders.  They seem to be very well located!  What is the correct/easiest way to remove the existing wires, all fitted with female connectors, and then, what is the best way to locate new wires and female terminals, please?  I'm sure this has been done before, and I don't really want to shell out for new relay mounts. Yes, I know, I'm a Scrooge!  

Mike

There are little barbs on the back of the female connectors that allow you to push the connector into the mount then spring out to hold it in place. You need something like a tiny flat head screw driver (the sort you would repair a pair of glasses with) to push the barb back on the connector whilst you pull the wire out. 

18 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Not 100% sure what you're trying to do to be honest, what problem are you trying to solve?

I need to replace some of the wires connected to relay terminals below the fuse panel because they are chaffed, and I don't want to do a botch job of wrapping with insulating tape and crossing my fingers.

17 hours ago, monkie said:

Those tools are great, but I figured if the OP doesn't want to buy a new relay base then they won't want to buy any special tools :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I feel that you're being prematurely judgmental.  It's not that I don't want to buy new relay bases or buy a special tool, it's just that I was ignorant.  As I asked in my post "how they can be removed and new ones inserted".  If I can reuse what I already have, why buy new ones?  From the replies above I gather that the female connections for use in relay bases are not the same as regular 1/4" connectors, or am I wrong?

Mike

Edited by Troll Hunter
Finger trouble - incomplete text

5 hours ago, Troll Hunter said:

From the replies above I gather that the female connections for use in relay bases are not the same as regular 1/4" connectors, or am I wrong?

They have a 'tang' on the back. This prevents them from moving back, away from the connection that they are making. It's this 'tang' that needs to be pressed in to then allow the connector to be pulled out of the base.

Here is a link to an eBay seller showing the picture I am showing. 

image.png.0bfe6a9b5e5f7f9be2f78985ef8ce2de.png

https://www.durite.co.uk/itm/72751/Demounting-Tools/Terminal-Extraction-Tool-Set/070399

This is the Durite tool that I was looking at.  If it's not the correct one, please point me in the right direction.

Many thanks for the link and the picture, Peaklander.  Now I know what I'm up against and can now get the correct connectors for the new wires.

Mike

I have the Durite tool and yes it's the correct one - just beware it will constantly be trying to stab you when you're using it.

I bought a cheap eBay set like this which is worse quality but far nicer to use once you've worked out which bit you need:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.ce1b7415aed4b3d2b9eac4aac4bfc900.jpg

Also be aware that once you've bent the little tang back, especially with a screwdriver, it may never lock in place properly ever again unless you replace the terminal. VWP sell the terminals.