Rebuilt brake components testing

Gazzar

I like the idea of rebuilding brake master and slave cylinders. It seems less wasteful, and all that.

But, it's a braking component, thus has to be good.

What's a good way of testing a rebuilt wheel cylinder? Blank the unions, clamp the piston, and pressurise with the air compressor? 

What pressure would be a good test pressure for a drum braked system?

I also like rebuilding and am currently in the process of cleaning up and shot blasting some 110 front callipers to rebuild. A leaking cylinder is pretty easy to spot during the bleed up process, I would bleed the brakes and clamp the piston. You should have a hard pedal that does not creep, and loss of fluid will be easily seen at the cylinder

I use a vacuum bleeder, so it can be hard to spot a leak, so it would be nice to be 100% certain, plus having the confidence of a test process is something that I'd like.

If in doubt I start from the master cylinder, block the exits with a bleed nipple. Fill with fluid, bleed and test for movement on the pedal. Then move out to the next set of bleed point bleeding and testing. This way I can prove both systems if a twin setup. If I get to a caliper and it is spongy I use a combination of bleed nipple and female joints to prove the system but eliminating the caliper.

It's just like testing electrics.

If you use an EziBleed with a modified output from the bottle to a fitting for the cylinder port instead of a cap for the master reservoir, then you can check the cylinders at tyre pressure (you could connect the unit to a compressor, but a tyre will generate plenty of pressure to find leaks - a bad seal will leak more at low pressure than high, as it’ll be forced against the cylinder walls better under very high pressure).