TD5 dropping 1 volt on battery while ignition is on

Hey guys my 1999 td5 110 is not cranking due to a strong draw on theย  battery approx 13v before turning key to glow plugs etc then drops to 12v when key is turned. The fuel pump doesn't seem to stop making its noise just sounds like its maxing out and just keeps on going is a new pump with a new relay, i tried different relay but no luck. Tried a new charged battery and no crank still, a couple of times at the start it did turn over but not long enough to fire just a quick burst.

Any help is appreciated started fine on bump start, unsure where to look next.

Cheers ๐Ÿ‘

4 hours ago, Maverik said:

Will try and clean the contacts otherwise I will order a kit such as you sent, cheers Maverick ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

4 hours ago, Escape said:

Best to check all connections to the battery: the big 12V cable, the earth to chassis and engine etc.

Hey Escape i will follow the cables back and check conditions and connection points just to make sure they are all in good order.

ย 

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

The one volt drop could just be the glow plugs, they do draw a fair chunk of current.

Yeah I thought the same but I thought the volts should go back up after the glow light goes out which it doesn't at this stage.

ย 

ย 

Also will add, after a quick 5 minute drive to the shop it wouldn't start to come back home had to bump start it to get it back, then the next day it started fine. Then after a 1.5hr drive had no luck starting the next time and thats where im at now.

Cheers guys appreciate the help already hope you all had a nice Christmas!

Cheers

15 minutes ago, magna42 said:

Also will add, after a quick 5 minute drive to the shop it wouldn't start to come back home had to bump start it to get it back, then the next day it started fine. Then after a 1.5hr drive had no luck starting the next time and thats where im at now.

Cheers guys appreciate the help already hope you all had a nice Christmas!

Cheers

Classic symptoms of a starter solenoid on the way out. If you canโ€™t source the kits in AUS, and they take a long time to import, youโ€™ll have to buy a whole starter, and end up repairing your original one as a spare.

2 hours ago, magna42 said:

Yeah I thought the same but I thought the volts should go back up after the glow light goes out which it doesn't at this stage.

ย 

ย 

Not quite true, modern diesels can keep powering glow plugs even after start, and before start, the light is just a comfort blanket/making sure minimal status for starting.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SteveG said:

Classic symptoms of a starter solenoid on the way out. If you canโ€™t source the kits in AUS, and they take a long time to import, youโ€™ll have to buy a whole starter, and end up repairing your original one as a spare.

I've been on the hunt for a kit but not much luck for a quick delivery. I am meant to be driving 4.5 hours back to work in two days so I will see what my options will be for it and go from there. Very good idea though i will be doing that just to be safe for the future.

Cheers for your help, greatly appreciated ๐Ÿ‘

9 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Not quite true, modern diesels can keep powering glow plugs even after start, and before start, the light is just a comfort blanket/making sure minimal status for starting.

Ah righto well there you go rookie mistake then I just assumed after lights off they are off. It makes sense though as I'm sure they may require the glow for a bit longer in some situations, maybe not here though in the 40ยฐc+ weather it has been lately ๐Ÿคฃ

Cheers Bowie ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘