Puma / late TD5 front doors

I'm considering buying new front doors for my 110, having already replaced the 2nd row and rear doors with new, Genuine one-piece pressed steel doors. The prices seem to be crazy but you either need to bite the bullet or sit back and watch.

I am looking around at the supplies of new ones and there are both OEM and Genuine available. The OEM ones I'm looking at are these from SP4x4 here at £478 for the bare doors or £1,074 for the same door fully built-up here.

If I look for Genuine doors, the sellers seem to be asking >£700 but there are still some around for <£600 .

The question I have is what differences if any are there? The blurb for the SP fully built up OEM doors says that they come from the same manufacturer that supplies Land Rover (quote: "These are assembled using an OEM door (from the same manufacturer that supplies Land Rover themselves) which is made from zinc-plated steel to increase longevity".

Does anyone have knowledge of how these two compare please, that is the OEM from SP and Genuine from others?

Not quite an answer to your question, but I've got some later type all steel doors and they're 5 years old and the skins have started to blister and rust. Non galvanised frames.

To my father in laws truck I fitted some galv frames with alu skins from SP and they looked pretty good, bit of prep needed but they fitted perfectly. 

4 minutes ago, Maverik said:

I've got some later type all steel doors and they're 5 years old and the skins have started to blister and rust. Non galvanised frames.

OK ta but yes, I mean the non-frame ones.

I'm getting myself mixed-up so gawd help anyone who is reading this. The later doors are indeed frame/skin but the main difference is that the frame is a single pressed steel piece with steel skin, not one comprising welded sections. On SP4x4 these are referred to as Puma doors and I have a pair of second row in this design but genuine LR, bought from Craddocks in 2020. I transferred across all the bits from the original doors. In the photo I was checking the window mechanism for fitment, prior to painting.

I can't see from the SP4x4 pics just what their doors are like and certainly can't see details of the genuine ones I have found elsewhere. I will probbaly go and look at the Genuines but the SP ones are at least £100 cheaper in bare door state.

1CC1F405-DCEC-496B-B65A-712512E70DE3_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.93c3862e3e78d1cc71179e7b0a1ad9b3.jpeg

On 1/1/2022 at 6:30 PM, Maverik said:

I've got some later type all steel doors and they're 5 years old and the skins have started to blister and rust. Non galvanised frames.

Hi, I'm just re-reading this, you say "later type" - are these the welded frame doors or the pressed steel ones?

I have had Puma doors since 2007 and they are still perfect, and I live by the sea. They will however still rot away if they are not looked after - I sprayed the inners of mine with waxoyl when I got them and periodically spray it up the lower drain channels (which are much bigger than the old type doors)

There used to be an 05 Td5 locally that I had the misfortune to have to repair on occasions. That had the “Puma type” doors and the skins rusted through completely at the bottom - it was completely neglected and regularly dunked in the sea.

• Like 1