Series 3 Transfer case in a Series 1?

SwiftTheLandRover

hey all, I recently acquired a 1951 80" S1 that is in dire need of a restoration, living in the US, parts are a lot harder to come by, and since my original transfer case is in pieces, I put out feelers for a complete one to buy, I have been offered a series 3 suffix D tcase at a reasonable price and was wondering how easy it would be to swap out the old one for the new one, if possible, I do intend on rebuilding the original eventually, but would really like to see this rover back on the road as soon as possible. 

Thanks!

Welcome, as above should fit, some modification with regards to the clutch slave cylinder to do possibly,think they are a different set up, shame your not closer I have a series 1 box in the garage doing nowt regards Stephen

Edit, disregard the clutch I was thinking whole box

Edited by Stellaghost
Predictive pain

Hiya and welcome !  - I have 1951 80” too 😊.  I’ve just put a complete S2 box in mine. 

I think the transfer box will fit - it will change the gearing a bit, and you’ll need to swap over the ring for the high low lever - they look the same, but put the lever in a slightly different position.

Other than that though I think they fit 😊

As I understand it, there will only be a significant fpdifference if your existing unit has the freewheeling front axle with ring-pull lock up.  If you have the red and yellow levers, I think it is a straight swap.

In the latter case, the mechanical differences are a much thicker intermediate gear shaft and heavier bearings and taller low range ratio of 2.35:1 inset as of the 2.8:1 of the earlier vehicles with smaller engines.  High range has the same 1.15:1 ratio in both versions.

I think that some appear to have misread the original post and have then mentioned the gearbox bellhousing which is not relevent

Anderzander runs a TDi diesel in his so that is not relevent either.

If you are talking just the transfer box then yes it will fit with the benefit of stonger bearings etc.  If your current gearbox is a ring pull freewheel box then you will need to modify the transmission tunnel to fit the yellow knob but the mods are minor.  The freewheel and non frewheel transfer boxes are the same overall dimensions so it does not affect propshafts.

If the S3 transfer box comes with the handbrake mech then use it as parts are eaier to find than forv the S1 handbrake

Peter