Evolution Suspension Grating

I've seen this before - someone was decrying a hybrid at a club meet for having the wrong length radius arms, but we looked around and found most cars have this to one extent or another, the axle appears to be too far forward.

To be honest, I'd bash the back edge of the cone in a little (or even cut it out completely and radius the corners left over) and not worry about it. The front springs may dislocate but they can't fall out in any case...

Hi All,

Thanks for all your help on this. I thought I'd give you an update.

I took the afternoon off to have another look at this. I stripped all the front suspension off again. All the polybushes are fine and all the mountings are undamaged. (I did have the turrets on the wrong side though, which was straining the dampers somewhat). All put back together now and as far as I can see it looks just about the same. However there must have been a little movement since it seems not to scrape on potholes so its a little better.

I also measured as many diagonals as I could think of and, within my measuring ability, everything seems square at the bottom end. Radius arms fronts to opposite rear drop arm mounts, etc, etc. It may not pass a laser test but nothing I measured was more than 5mm different.

I am beginning to think that it might be the offside top spring seat that is too far back rather than the bottom spring seat being too far forward. I also examined the old turret/shock assembly that is still in one piece from when I replaced it. The shocker in that turret is offset at a significant angle (forwards) which would support the notion that it was like this before I did the suspension upgrade anyway.

I think I may have to resort to bending in the back edge of the cone. Someone suggested shaving the rear radius arm polybush to pull the axle back but I think that would throw it off square. It drives ok (apart from the scrape) so I don't want to upset it.

if you had the turrets on wrong id assume they aren't 'square' (cant spell symectrical) could the turret being 'backwards' be misalining the shock & pulling the axle against the bushes when you compress the suspension?

or......TURN THE RADIO UP! :lol: (have they invented radios down there yet?)

if you had the turrets on wrong id assume they aren't 'square' (cant spell symectrical) could the turret being 'backwards' be misalining the shock & pulling the axle against the bushes when you compress the suspension?

or......TURN THE RADIO UP! :lol: (have they invented radios down there yet?)

A little bit perhaps. The turrets 'lean' slightly which meant that the shocker was misaligned before I swapped them over. They weren't backwards as such. I had the RH on the LH and vice versa. Spring fit is still bl**dy awful but the graunching sound is lessened a little now that everything has been rebuilt. Something must have moved a mill' or two. A carefully placed adjustment of the offending relocation cone with LR special tool no.1 will sort it now I think. Whatever is 'misplaced' on the chassis has obviously been like that since new so b****r it! It drives fine.

Now why didn't I think of the radio! I did try shouting at the wife (since she was driving when it first started) but it only works for short spells. I've just fitted a topping panasonic head unit. (At least it sounds topping when its parked up!) Even controls the ipod. Bling or what!

sounds very bling, has it got that important extra required due to the excellent shutlines on LRs? the iScuba waterproofing system? :D :D :D :D

Of course I had the water ingress properties of the LR in mind when the headunit was selected. I chose one with plenty of holes in it so that the water could drain straight through! The salesman waffled on about heat dissipation (which was an unexpected but welcome bonus in the naturally aspirated environment of a typical 90). However, I was more concerned with being able to hear the damn thing occasionally.

The real decision was of course made by SWMBO who liked the pretty colours, the cool way the front rotated when some button or other is pressed and and the flashy graphic display - Once again, compromise is the secret of happiness - everyone's a winner!