V8 3.5 in Series III Norwegian Exmil. PAS pump question

Hello.

I am a fairly new member, living in Norway

I am putting a Rover 3.5 V8 carburettor from a Rover SD1 (1984) in to a Series III 109 Exmil. 

I am also rebuilding the steering to power assisted steering, I have been trying to figure out what PAS pump to use. I purchased ANR2003 with ERR798 bracket and ETC6607. Alas, the low placement for this setup is impossible, the pulley collides with the chassis.

Someone suggested a different pump, Hubourn Eaton 5503/8518/24 that could fit. Unfortunately I am not able to find this. I have found one on Ebay, but no reply from the seller. 

My guess is that someone on this forum has done this, and knows a lot more than me. I need all the help I can get, because I am now stuck. 

So if anyone here knows, and want to share, please do!

best regards

Mathias

Just a thought - some cars like Mercedes A-Class have small electric power steering pumps that make life easy, put them anywhere, given them 12v and away they go.

Project Binky used one, it's very neat, integrated reservoir on top and everything. Made by ZF I believe.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Just a thought - some cars like Mercedes A-Class have small electric power steering pumps that make life easy, put them anywhere, given them 12v and away they go.

Project Binky used one, it's very neat, integrated reservoir on top and everything. Made by ZF I believe.

Astra G and Astra H diesels have them too, good thing about these pumps is that when your engine driven hydraulic pump is a bit tired, or the belt is wet, you get very little assistance at low engine speeds, whereas the electric one works all the time. They are reliable too !

• Thanks 1

hello !

I will definitely check out these suggestions. I really see the benefit of having an electric pump. Better still if it fit in the opening left behind by the old steering relay box. 

thank you very much :)

-mathias

after some googling, i found some feedback that claims this is not too straight forward..

see below one answer. I do not want to go down a route where I purchase fairly expensive parts that I can not use. I have already done that a couple of time... :)

"Hydraulic Electric steering. Where to begin. It's not going to be purely electric, you need a hybrid system.

It's basically just an electric pump that pumps when needed, so there is also a reservoir and accumulator.

The units I work with are way to expensive to justify, and work on CAN, and require a 40 amp circuit.

The easiest way I would imagine would be to have a small pump and accumulator with a pressure switch that operates to tell the pump to kick on."

15 hours ago, TD5toV8110 said:

It will be less trouble/cheaper just to fit the pump/bracket from a Discovery or RRC.

I have talked to some people saying that there are many different pa's pumps out there. And the alignment of the pulley etc might not be straightforward.. 

I do not find this very easy, since I am new to this. 

If you by any chance could point me i the right direction, and even better, give me some hint of parts numbers to look for. I need a suitable pump with brackets.. 

I have found this schematic, but I am not able to verify if this is viable route

https://www.lrworkshop.com/diagrams/land-rover-defender-engine/v8-petrol-efi/power-steering-pump_53407

17 hours ago, elbekko said:

Is it these you need?

hello.

This is not the one I can use.

see my initial post, where I describe what I have. It fits the motor all right, but not when the motor is in a Series III, because the placement of the motor results in the pulley hitting the chassis.

I have the brackets, the ANR2003 pump, alas I need a pump that fits up and above, closer to the distributor.

I know a guy in Norway that use a Hubour Eaton Pump 5503/8518/24 pump, and it is placed as mentioned above.

Someone must have put a V8 in a series with PAS, and have found a solution to this..

I am at loss..

:)