Just for Fun

GeorgetheLandy

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2022 at 1:37 AM, Arjan said:

Looks Good !!!

Now some pictures of the project please....

Okay, I will write a more formal post on the project if people want me to but here is a quick before and after shot.  The dilemma I faced was when I first received the George the bulkhead was in really bad shape and needed addressing immediately, lots of repair as did parts of the chassis too, so I lost a lot of the original paint but did manage to find a place to match the OP and I resprayed the parts that needed it to match in and hopefully gently wear back to match the rest.  I tried uploading more but seems we're limited to 29 so may have to make a montage and post as one or two jpg's.

The shots here show a before and after as well as the rebuild of the wiper motors and windscreen wiper mounts that I electroplated myself in nickel.  I rebuilt the motors and got them up and running again. The passenger door was badly damaged on the trip down to Cape Horn Argentina by the previous owner so I had to replace that.  I tried saving the top section but it was too far gone to be of any use so had to invest in a new top section.  Re-galvanised the windscreen frame bolts too, these were a fun project and learning to electroplate was fun.

I restored the windscreen frame and refitted the original glass with new seals, cleaning all of the rust off that as well as the bulkhead, which had some bad spots that needed patching, welding, grinding and finishing.  That was a barsteward of a job!  Removed the entire seat box section, serviced the gearbox and transfer case and cleaned off all the crud and carp from the gear box bell housing.  Cleaned all the chassis and had new outriggers as well as the two front horns and some pieces at the rear too.  Then ground all the joints level, smooth, and finished, acid etched, undercoated and finished with Chassis paint.

Removed the ridiculous hand winch and replace with original Fairey Capstan Winch.  Restored the front apron and restored all the original lights, removing all the rust from the internal buckets and priming and sealing.  Removed all the unnecessary metal plate from the front bumper and coated in black rubberised bumper paint.

Restored all the instruments on the dash panel and cleaned; lubricated and removed all dirt from speedometer and other gauges.  Rebuilt the Tex Magna indicator system and restored the steering wheel and horn too, included the low tone horn and horn switch.  Relocated the dimmer switch from floor to dash panel and welded shut the hole and well it used to sit in repairing all the rust in that section too.  Repaired all the air vents and re-galvanised the levers at home in a fish tank with a zinc bar, power supply and a lot of reading.

Sourced the original sun visors and fitted them and re-etched the gear stick numerals and sanded, acid etched, primed and painted all the floor panels, seat box and seat box panels.  Sealed and insulated the under seat compartment too, making it a safe dry storage space.

Restored the entire steering system, fitted new ball joints and realigned the wheels and adjusted the play.  Sourced an original engine bay tool box which still needs fitting and I still have to fit the Smith Heater Matrix at some point.  Though have a choice here as I have the round type, the square box type and also the Kodiak type too, though the last two need restoring so weighing up which will be best to fit.  So far the small round Smiths is winning but need to do more research before I commit, so may have some heated to part with once I have made my choice.   Also found a set of the original rear reflectors which I fitted and put in place.  Have an original sooty foot pump that will sit in the rear along with the original tool roll too, still in its original cloth wrap.

Completely overhauled the air cleaner cooler system, completely restored the radiator sealing any leaking with brass brazing rods and priming and painting in high temperature enamel paint.  New HT leads, distributor cap and coil system.  New original voltage regulator as the old one was toasted and the brass had corroded in parts.  Restored the battery cradle and all the chassis in the engine bay area too.  Changed all fluids for now but still need to replace all the gaskets and seals on the engine at some point.  I have new exhaust to fit along with a new outlet manifold as the old one is really corroded (not looking forward to trying to remove that.  Need to clean the oil sump, respray and replace gasket there.  Need to replace springs and shocks and finally need to replace bearing and oil seals on the hubs and swivel joints.  

1FFA7C3C-AECB-44D9-93EE-19105051E72E_1_201_a.jpeg

D0EB4041-F3DD-4558-A79C-45B4A89141B9_1_201_a.jpeg

AF60F5FF-7D68-414F-AA79-EEC684B43EE1.jpeg

2D01CF12-6BAA-40B9-8BC9-20A0B9450BED.jpeg

8F380F07-BD0C-4ED0-834C-79A76B8AE85E.jpeg

EFCCE75A-5444-4064-AC6D-E2AAE7E8782D.jpeg

C9DAF09C-1183-40C4-A42F-3F3A23A8A507.jpeg

D5252421-5C65-4AA2-BB3E-60394A397228.jpeg

E51953E3-F400-45D4-BCD8-F9F1EF2B3D20_1_201_a.jpeg

C74605F6-B7E9-4A00-9426-181ACE00BCEE.jpeg

D3DF4D94-C2C6-450C-B2F6-19263C4BA5DB_1_201_a.jpeg

585F5961-092B-4BC8-BA0D-7E59D73AA1AF_1_201_a.jpeg

4AE1AB68-B6FB-481C-8107-D9D382D7C989.heic

Edited by GeorgetheLandy
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Badger110 said:

Looking forward to it, great attention to detail so far :D

Thanks, yes, I tried to make it a gentle respectful restoration.  For as much as I have been able I have repaired and restored the original parts but in some cases the old parts were either lost or too far gone to save, so in cases like that I have tried to source new old stock or purchased rover replacement parts.  I see it as a lifelong task and I think I will always be chasing rust on certain parts, namely the chassis and bulkhead.  When I retire I may buy a new chassis as this one is solid but has had some bad welding done over the years.  We’ll see on that though, for now he’s up and running and I can finally enjoy getting out with my fly rod and camping gear and enjoying it.

• Like 2