Making the rear into a cooking and camping storage area

Cornish Rattler

Just now, Cornish Rattler said:

Hi guys

Made a start yesterday raising the rear floor space to make a rear battery compartment for x2 100amp leasure batteries across the front of the rear floor with a lift up lid and to house the spare wheel which will slide out when needed 🙂

20220326_140940.jpg

20220326_173729.jpg

Will post more pic's as we go along.

Nice !

Just for suggestions, we had a set up like this in the 109 " / 88" / 110 :

afbeelding.png.0bc97ec4eda0c263f5cfb0be0ce4f7b2.png

Slide out stove..

afbeelding.thumb.png.e40f954d86005630f0126cb0f5343f5f.png

Works quite well...

Was originally fitted to our 109" Hard Top and moved to the various other LR's over the decades.. 2 Gas bottles are sliding in and out making for a simple sturdy mount. Camping Gaz can be found almost everywhere and many meals were served from the back door.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Arjan said:

Nice !

Just for suggestions, we had a set up like this in the 109 " / 88" / 110 :

afbeelding.png.0bc97ec4eda0c263f5cfb0be0ce4f7b2.png

Slide out stove..

afbeelding.thumb.png.e40f954d86005630f0126cb0f5343f5f.png

Works quite well...

Was originally fitted to our 109" Hard Top and moved to the various other LR's over the decades.. 2 Gas bottles are sliding in and out making for a simple sturdy mount. Camping Gaz can be found almost everywhere and many meals were served from the back door.

Looks nice, we plan to fit a fold up / down not decided panel on the back door as another work surface and may stand the cooker rings on that and may just use a washing up bowl for washing pots on it as well but will see how it all pans out, once all the paneling is done we can then fit the split charge system and inverter and go from there 🙂

17 hours ago, Bigj66 said:

Interesting. I was thinking of doing something similar with the Sankey and then putting a roof tent on top of it. Some good inspiration here 👍👍

Yes the only drawback i see with the roof tent is carparks as some are 6'9" and the landy with roof tent is over 7' so would have to find somewhere else to park then if you have a good spot on the campsite there is a very good chance of loosing it so if it does become a problem then i mite do as you have said and fit it to my trailer but the only thing with a trailer is you are ristricted to 60mph on the Mway but hay ho 🙂

Just took the landy out since boarding out the back still got the o/s wall to do yet but its a lot quieter now and with the headboard being there the heater is a lot warmer, should be go for driving through the night to Cornwall 😀

Edited by Cornish Rattler

7 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Yes, i wanted to do it in ply wood but  as everything has recently gone up in price it was double the price of MDF and that was expensive ☹️

Be really really careful to control the damp -  condensation kills MDF.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Just took the landy out since boarding out the back still got the o/s wall to do yet but its a lot quieter now and with the headboard being there the heater is a lot warmer, should be go for driving through the night to Cornwall 😀

They’re some of the reasons I changed to a truck cab. A lot warmer and quieter than with the open space of the hard top but not as much fun as no roof at all 👍

4 hours ago, Bigj66 said:

They’re some of the reasons I changed to a truck cab. A lot warmer and quieter than with the open space of the hard top but not as much fun as no roof at all 👍

Yeah my last 2a 88" was a van with 200tdi in it and the last 6 months of ownership of it i converted it to a truck cab and sold the hardtop on and totally regretted it other than having a nice and toasty cab you couldn't keep anything in the back of it and with it being a tdi in the wet the back end would wheel spin a lot but i sold it in the end ☹️

Just finished fitting the o/s wall, fitting and wiring in the split charge system and fitting and connecting up the inverter inc testing it with my garage vacuum cleaner and it works great, just need to tidy up the cables with cable ties, secure battery but i will be getting a second battery as i just don't thing 100amps is enough☹️ 🙂

IMG-20220402-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20220402-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20220402-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20220402-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20220402-WA0014.jpg

• Like 1

Yesterday whilst i was at work son decided to dig the chillerbox ( not a fridge / freezer just a fridhe ) out of the shed and place it in the back of the landy just for testing and it was plugger into the inverter ( 2000W ) and running great for about 5 hrs and it was nice and cool and was only pulling 0.2 amps which i thought was great 😀

IMG-20220403-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20220403-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20220403-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20220403-WA0006.jpg

22 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

So 50W, is that constant?

It's like leaving one headlamp all the time if so.

Seems to be, we haven't driven the landy since wiring everything in so aux battery probably not fully charged it just has the charge in it as we got the new battery a month ago.

It just so happens i had to nip out to B&Q after my last post and everything's fine and both batteries are fully charged and the aux screen for the inverter is saying the aux battery is full so i'm really pleased but obviously a proper camping trip will be the real test so tryibg to get it all done for the Billing show in June and can't wait 🙂

• Like 1