To Overdrive or not to Overdrive, that is the question....

Arjan

Just now, Gazzar said:

When not engaged the power still goes through the over drive.

Wasn't aware of an extended sump either, just a version with extra cooling.

It may be they (RM) only do them for LT230, and the Series one is only a finned cover plate, I'm not 100% sure.

This is ours - I knocked up a heat shield for the exhaust as it was quite close (I suspect Britpart's doing), but since then I've had Longlife re-make the section to move it closer to the chassis.

IMG_4098.JPG

Thank You.

I have seen those ribbed ones - not sure who does them.

Better I think would be to have one like that - more oil....

The Roverdrive transfer case plates for the Series are finned for cooling the oil but don’t increase capacity.  An increased capacity sump may benefit a Roverdrive, which shares its oil with the transfer case,  but Fairey overdrives have their own oil supply and are sealed from the transfer box, so a bigger sump would be of little benefit.

My concern over a Fairey behind a Tdi would be the fine splines that suffer behind any engine.  No significant loads go through its internal gears when “disengaged”, the input and output shafts locked together and the gears and lay shaft merely idling.  As long as those splines are in good order, I don’t think a Tdi will cause it much trouble as long as it is driven sensibly and the oil level checked sufficiently often.

13 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Also, whichever route you go - the extended sump for the transfer box is well worth it, holds more oil & helps keep things cooler.

But doesn't help a fairey overdrive as the oil in the overdrive is separate to the transfer case.  The LT95 overdrive was an improvement as it shared oil with the transfer case.  Not sure about a Roamer though. 

Edit - sorry Snagger just noticed your response.

Edited by garrycol
  • Like 1

I did wonder at how difficult it might be to fit a remote sump to the Fairey and what benefit it might bring. 

As to the input splines, I'm sure there must be a modern anti wear product that can go on them, with an the advances we've had in oil products.

4 hours ago, Gazzar said:

I did wonder at how difficult it might be to fit a remote sump to the Fairey and what benefit it might bring. 

As to the input splines, I'm sure there must be a modern anti wear product that can go on them, with an the advances we've had in oil products.

Very, none and Rocol antiscuff paste as per Fairey’s instructions.  EP90 is good at shock absorption (that is what the sulphur is for), so the splines should be fine as long as the transfer box oil level is maintained and serviced on schedule.