The GKN Overdrive

7 hours ago, L19MUD said:

if it is the one in the completed history on ebay for £21 then I absolutely agree!! I would have outbid you on that if I had seen it. Good luck and post up how you get on

Yep that's the one!  I can't believe I got it for that on what the competition thought they were bidding on.  Doesn't help when the auctioneer sets it to finish at 9 on a weekday morning.  Second time I've had a good deal like that.

Will let you know what I find when I get it on the bench.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ibex94 said:

Yep that's the one!  I can't believe I got it for that on what the competition thought they were bidding on.  Doesn't help when the auctioneer sets it to finish at 9 on a weekday morning.  Second time I've had a good deal like that.

Will let you know what I find when I get it on the bench.

How on earth did you find that? I have a search running for them and it didn't show me that one.

While perusing the web I found something that might those of us that have a GKN .

pits a deep sump that will double or almost triple the amount of ATF in the over drive .

I found two companies one is Gear venders over drives and maximum over drive . They are basically the same type of deep sump.

the Gear Venders has a spot to mount a temp sender and a rear drain . I think the Maximum Over drive has the same ports.

here are a few pics 

IMG_0629.png

IMG_0624.png

IMG_0620.jpeg

IMG_0623.png

15 hours ago, vulcan bomber said:

How on earth did you find that? I have a search running for them and it didn't show me that one.

vagaries of flea bay, I have been looking occasionally and it came up when I looked Sunday.

12 hours ago, Little mule said:

would you be willing to sell me the deep sump. I think I might have a solution for it . I’ll make an adaptor for it so they  both fit .

let me know .

Not at this time, I may decided to modify the MO sump so it's a bit shorter so it doesn't clash with my TB deep sump. 

2 hours ago, western said:

Not at this time, I may decided to modify the MO sump so it's a bit shorter so it doesn't clash with my TB deep sump. 

Do you know what model of transmission you bought it for ?

I have a friend who has lots of Volvo trannys around he might have one kicking around . 

I didn’t see that model of deep sump when I was on their web site . Do you have a part number and maybe a web site .

i might be using the wrong website to find the deep sump.

it would be nice to find one for the rover GKN . 

I have a deeper sump for the T-case and to be perfectly I don’t need it as in not going to be pounding my truck off road anymore . It will be on a trailer when my wife and I are travelling with the camper on the back of my RAM 2500 and towing the trailer . We will be doing our touring around with the RRC . 

Tony 

I hope the mods are ok with this but I can now sell people a set of gaskets for the GKN unit. £15 a set including postage and with a couple of extra gaskets for the inspection cover to allow you to remove the cover for servicing. And significantlu cheaper than Devon who sell 1 gasket for £12!!

How many people here are actually running a GKN?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, vulcan bomber said:

I hope the mods are ok with this but I can now sell people a set of gaskets for the GKN unit. £15 a set including postage and with a couple of extra gaskets for the inspection cover to allow you to remove the cover for servicing. And significantlu cheaper than Devon who sell 1 gasket for £12!!

How many people here are actually running a GKN?

How many have a GKN unit sitting sulking on the shelf in the shed unloved?

A sump is something I have a lot of ideas on, as soon as I can get the one Richard (Reb78) is sending my way fitted I'll be able to make a start on it. 

Speed sensors seem to be a major problem, I know several ways of sorting this one. It appears there are 2 types used, does any one know for sure what threads were used? 

Do you want the extension bit you sent me back,??

even though somehow you screwed up the bolt hole locations 

Yes if you don't mind. Once I've got this one of Richards, send your overdrive back up if you want and I'll put some miles on it with my 110 so you can fit it with some faith on yours.

You can do away with the speed sensor & plug the hole, the relay kit I bought from Devon4x4 doesn't use the sensor. But you have to remember to disengage OD below 30mph.

That's 1 option and not worth the £20 off from Devon.

I can also make other bits fit and theres also an option 3 that's currently a secret 

Ralph, if its helpful to use a ramp, pop up. I cant offer much time to help but can offer use of my ramp so u can fit the OD. Makes very short work of the job. Local test drive and if there is a problem its quick to remove with the ramp.