bad radio signal

The aerial needs a good ground plane below it, that is, a large expanse of metal. This creates an image of the aerial length above and improves the 'gather' of the radio waves. This is an RF connection and it does not need to be a direct metal to metal connection.

Edit. I should clarify that it’s the sheath of the cable that needs to be connected to the body metal that forms the ground plane, such as the (metal) wing. In reality I suppose this means that the base of the aerial should be in good contact with the metal work, as that is the connection to the cable sheath. 

Edited by Peaklander

All good advice and to add to it, a wire coat hanger is one of the best aerials there ever was! 

simply put, a metal aerial with a decent ground plane works the best or if you’re willing to spend some pennies, a ‘ bee sting ‘ aerial.

Ignore DAB aerials, they’re a waste of money. DAB works just as well through a standard Landy aerial with a splitter at the head unit end and 12v feed.

I know this as I’ve spent a small fortune going round the houses to end up replacing the standard aerial, moving it to the front of the wing as my roof interferes with the normal position, and buying a splitter for the DAB.

i watched a video on youtube saying if you earth the chassis of the radio to a good earth this should improve the signal .iv tried lots of aerials over the years on both defenders and they've both had a rubbish signal iv got to be doing something wrong