MSR/SIGG bottle for oil/anti freeze/brake fluid?

twodoorgaz

I'm getting ready for a long trip through southern Europe and out to Malta and have just been sorting my spares and tools. Space is at a premium (and I'm a neat freak) and would like to decant my spare Engine oil, Anti Freeze, Diff OIl and Brake Fluid into some tough, reusable bottles - so obviously thinking SIGG type ones, which would fit ace in my storage box and we have a few of these in the loft and some more at the folks' place from past adventuring.

But I'm not sure how the bottles would cope nor whether they would cause any contamination. Similarly I wouldn't want the O-rings to get damaged by the contents leading to leaks. I'm aware that SIGG used to be OK for fuel for camping stoves but have long since had a liner for drinking but that MSR bottles are pitched at fuel.

Can anyone advise? My gut says anything that is OK for fuel would be fine for the above.

Oh and yes, I know I could just buy 1l bottles of the fluids and leave them in their bottles but I've been doing that for years and (aside from the neatness factor and the fact that I've had part used bottles leak) am getting a bit sick of paying the premium over just decanting some out from my big containers in the workshop.

Thanks very much.

Edited by twodoorgaz

I've been reusing 1 and 5 liter bottles and jugs for oil and coolant for years, both in the Workshop and as spares when traveling. If they leak, it's usually at the pouring spout, after years of use in the Workshop (I buy 30 liter drums and decant into 5 liter jugs for ease of use). I've had one pinhole leak halfway while traveling, that was annoying. But an old, well used jug. If you select bottles that are in good shape, you should have no trouble. As @FridgeFreezer says, you don't need to carry a lot, just for emergencies to get you to the next service or such. 

The MSR bottles are designed for camping fuel which is mostly hexane, so I'd have no worry about oils. Brake fluid, I don't know. Take an o ring and leave it in a pot of brake fluid for a week and see if the seal starts to breakdown. I've used MSR bottles for petrol and it took a few years of use for the seal to perish, and petrol is horrible stuff. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...