1987 110 swivel bearing puzzle

DC_

Hi gang, gladly I’ve not needed to post for a while. However, after an MOT advisory about play in the swivel bearing. I decided to replace. 
I ordered a kit but by the look of it, it’s not the right one. 
the thing that’s puzzling (for me) is  my 110 seems to only have one bearing located at the bottom swivel pin 🤔 

Can anyone shed some light on this set up from the pictures? Or indeed what kit I’d need. 

348663CC-AE49-4A30-B024-DCED247E9525.jpeg

25EA63B5-FD9B-45C4-B528-5ACA4798A973.jpeg

B9D28EA4-AE08-4AB1-9F5B-3C16C5C1858D.jpeg

Ahh !! FRC2916 Is what I’m after. Didn’t realise the early 1983 onwards had only a one bearing set up. 
Sorry for the unnecessary  reading. 
Might help some one else in the future. 
this swivel pin housing needs replaced. 

7 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

As you’ve worked out now, you’ve got the railko bush type setup. Not really any more difficult to setup, just make sure the preload is correct for that type (it’s much higher than the later all-bearing type. And it’s easy to miss putting the little fibre disc in the bottom of the bush!

Yes another thing learned. Even the mate who’s more knowledgeable hasn’t seen this set up before. I did remember to put the thrust washer in. It’s all back together now. 

Do you know off hand what preload it should be set to when it’s all connected with seal on? 

Right now it’s at around 10 lbs. 

ill need to search for gasket too for the back of the swivel ball housing as the original was goosed.

3 minutes ago, DC_ said:

Yes another thing learned. Even the mate who’s more knowledgeable hasn’t seen this set up before. I did remember to put the thrust washer in. It’s all back together now. 

Do you know off hand what preload it should be set to when it’s all connected with seal on? 

Right now it’s at around 10 lbs. 

ill need to search for gasket too for the back of the swivel ball housing as the original was goosed.

Preload should always be measured with the seal removed (too many variables for the amount of drag it causes - and is the same across the railko type and bearings type). 

preload without the seal should be about the 4kg mark from memory. 

• Like 2

Just now, DC_ said:

Also any advice on the removal of the railko bush? 

Just knock it out from the inside, the middle flexes so I tend to alternate sides and walk it out. For putting it in, pay attention to the flat spot on the outside diameter of the bush…. That needs to go towards the centre of the axle. I usually align it, tap it in a little with an ali block over the top, double check the alignment and then tap it home. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, landroversforever said:

And it’s easy to miss putting the little fibre disc in the bottom of the bush!

There are types with radial needle bearings and bronze bush for that purpose as well. I believe, the where made for Discos.

Since steering geometry is the same with all types, swifels interchangeable, as far as I know. At my 1983 Oneten I got one swivel with disco setup and the other with modern 2 bearings setup.

35 minutes ago, Sigi_H said:

There are types with radial needle bearings and bronze bush for that purpose as well. I believe, the where made for Discos.

Since steering geometry is the same with all types, swifels interchangeable, as far as I know. At my 1983 Oneten I got one swivel with disco setup and the other with modern 2 bearings setup.

Never seen or heard of anything other than the Railko bush type or the top and bottom roller bearings? 

17 minutes ago, DC_ said:

Does anyone (Ralph) have a part number for the 10mm bolts for the retailing ring for swivel ball housing ? 

Do you mean the swivel seal retainer plate? In which case be wary calling them 10mm bolts. They're M6 from memory (so 10mm across the flats on the head) and don't need to be anything special. Something around 10-12mm length wise.

• Like 1

One more thing, beware of the torque settings in the manual for some of the bolts. I think it is the M8s in the bottom pin - the torque stated is way to high and people have been known to snap the bolt - I am not sure if it is this bolt or one if the others.

If you look at the size of the bolt and then look at a standard torque setting for that bolt you will see which one it is.  I think either Britannica Restorations or trailer fitters toolbox highlight it in one of their videos. Definitely check this as you don't want to snap a bolt!!

• Like 1