Not quite competing in Land Rovers, but close...The Exeter Trial

Nonimouse

This friday night/saturday morning will see the 93rd running of The Exeter Trial https://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/the-exeter-trial/

I'm Hill Chief at Underdown and all the marshal's vehicles will be Land Rover's (hence the tenuous link) 

Sadly Underdown is lousy for spectators, as we open at 23.35 and close at 05.30, but there are some great spectator hills later in the day (see link)

We are always short of marshal's, more so this year, thanks to the winter plague season. It's fun, but hard work; howevere if you are a car/bike nut, you will fill your boots!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/13/2023 at 1:36 PM, landroversforever said:

Saw a video from one of the climbs on facebook. Was going to share until facebook refreshed and it buggered off. Was a lifted 3(?) series BMW estate bouncing off the limiter :lol:

Yes. there are a few of those, as well as a 2.5 Touring. Generally lifted, ballasted and driven hard

Then the next car will be an Imaculate Model A that just pootles up the hill like it's not there

• 1 month later...

Lands End is on Friday night/Saturday morning, this weekend.  I'm at Riverton, but just doing recovery - which essentially means towing fails up the hill; so big bungee cord time. A kinetic rope is excellent for this kind of job, as are soft shackles or chains

• Like 1

Firday night,to Staurday morning (21.00 to 06.45) was a rush. Lots of issues with bikes falling over and about fifteen winch recoveries on the cars. Good job I had fitted the new winch rope, becuase none of those fifteen cars had suitable tow recovery points. The old G10 Special worked hard ,pulling some heavy old motors up a 45 degree, stepped slope, covered in clay grease. The TR7's were the toughest though, something underneath all three managed to catch on to a big chunk of planet...

The one car we were dreading would get get stuck, the 1040 Cheverolet Master Coupe, just breezed up, with nary a problem...

After three hours kip, I spent the rest of Saturday cleaning kit

It was great to be working on revovery with Darren Church. I have missed his dulcet tones as he politley requests his requirements. 

• 6 months later...

Forward planning for 'The Exeter', which falls on Friday the 5th of January to Saturday the 6th of January.

Once again I am Hill Chief at Underdown. I'm shy on one person, but two would be nice. The job would be to support the three crews, start, recovery and finish. We go live at 23.00 with an estimated finsh by 0600

Anybody interested

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, Jon W said:

Haven't spoken to him yet to hear about it, but sounds like he might of had his hand full then so no pictures from the event by the sounds of it

Pictures are never easy as it runs 0100 to 0600 

But yes, he did a sterling job

• 2 months later...

It was the Lands End Trial last Friday night/Saturday morning. As per usual we ran recovery at Riverton Hill (open 23.45 to 07.30(. It was the 500th running of the event, with over 400 entrants. Some amazing cars, including two GN's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GN_(car) and 6 Model A's all running together.

Thanks to repairs on the hill, it was much better than last year

1 hour ago, Nonimouse said:

It was the Lands End Trial last Friday night/Saturday morning. As per usual we ran recovery at Riverton Hill (open 23.45 to 07.30(. It was the 500th running of the event, with over 400 entrants. Some amazing cars, including two GN's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GN_(car) and 6 Model A's all running together.

Thanks to repairs on the hill, it was much better than last year

Saw a few trials like cars on what must have been Friday.... but on the A303 headed northbound? 

6 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Saw a few trials like cars on what must have been Friday.... but on the A303 headed northbound? 

Start points are Launceston, Popham and Cirencester, converging on Bridgwater

• Like 1