landrover special tool LRT-41-005

hurbie

hello all , 

does anybody know the size of the thickest piece on this mandrell (used for setting up the LT230 transfercase .

the thin part is "just" a piece of gearbox output shaft .

or is somebody good at 'gestimating' the size's from the picture below ?

lrt-41-005.jpg.8b6d7f6e918daffd2d104d793fab38bf.jpg

picture is from :

https://www.dingocroft.co.uk/acatalog/Input-Gear-Turning-Mandrel-LRT_41_005.html

4 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Surely if it's just for rotating the input gear then the thick bit is just to grip by hand. If so I would guess around 50mm.

Mike

You wrap a cord around the end and then pull it with a spring balance to check the bearing preload.

The diameter will make a difference to the result.

It's many years since I worked for a main dealers and we rebuilt these regularly, but we just did them by feel in the end, although that's probably not helpful to the op.

Years ago Ashcrofts were doing gearbox build demonstrations at Billing. I was about to rebuild my own box so spent a while talking to the chap and he took me through LT230 assembly. This included giving me the opportunity to feel what the correct preload felt like. Free to turn, but with a little resistance is as good as I can describe it. That was how he did it, with experienced hands and eyes.

• Like 1

send a e-mail to dingocroft , lets see if there willing to share the secret 😉 

in the meantime i printed the foto of the part , measured from the foto and compered with actual measurments, and calculated it's real world size , this seems to be around 55mm diameter .

5 hours ago, ashtrans said:

I have no idea but it looks like this tool is only used to turn the input gear, FTC5090 will do this too,

no , see below ....

On 3/23/2023 at 10:31 PM, pat_pending said:

You wrap a cord around the end and then pull it with a spring balance to check the bearing preload.

The diameter will make a difference to the result.

It's many years since I worked for a main dealers and we rebuilt these regularly, but we just did them by feel in the end, although that's probably not helpful to the op.

Thinking about this, as we used to do so many and had one set of special tools, that never got put back or were used for other purposes, I made my own from a scrap LT77 mainshaft (we had lots of them).

It's probably 30 years ago but I "may" still have it. I remember welding something on the end for the cord to go, I'd have chosen something the right size I'm sure.

I say "may" as we just got used to setting them by feel in the end, although being a hoarder I doubt I'd have chucked it.

I'll have look in the w/shop here tomorrow, I know it's not at work.

1 minute ago, pat_pending said:

I had a look but can't find it.

Sorry for the delay, I'm recovering from Covid and everything's an effort.

no problem , thanks for looking .

and good luck recovering !