Land Rover Classic Defender Works V8 Islay Edition

https://media.landrover.com/news/2023/05/land-rover-classic-reveals-classic-defender-works-v8-islay-edition

LAND%20ROVER%20CLASSIC%20DEFENDER%20WORK

"... Land Rover Classic has revealed its first heritage themed special edition Defender – the Classic Defender Works V8 Islay Edition. The themed edition celebrates both the remarkable Spencer Wilks, Managing Director of the Rover Car Company and one of the founders of Land Rover, and the Isle of Islay, Scotland, where the Land Rover name was born, as contributors to the unrivalled legacy of Defender.

The Classic Defender Works V8 Islay Edition is inspired by a Series IIa Land Rover owned and used by Spencer Wilks, that now forms part of the Land Rover Classic collection, and the Hebridean island where he holidayed.

The Wilks’ Laggan Estate on Islay was used to test early prototypes and in 1947, while driving his heavily modified Rover across the rugged landscape, the estate's gamekeeper remarked that it must be a "Land Rover", thus the name was born.

Based on the same technical specification as the Classic Defender Works V8, the Islay Edition is powered by a 405hp 5.0-litre V8 petrol engine mated to an eight-speed ZF automatic transmission. Each one is comprehensively restored, re-engineered and upgraded, utilising donor vehicles from 2012-2016. Each carefully crafted and hand-assembled vehicle provides a unique proposition to discerning clients looking for a truly luxurious, comprehensively engineered, collectible classic Defender, direct from the original manufacturer.

The Works V8 Islay Edition will be limited to 30 examples, all Station Wagons, with 17 available as a 90 short wheelbase and 13 available as a seven-seat 110 version. ...

The Defender Islay Edition is priced from £230,000 for the 90, and £245,000 for the 110."

On 5/3/2023 at 10:55 AM, ThreePointFive said:

I very much like that. I think you could build one identically for less than half, though.

A lot less IMO. I class myself as a "discerning" customer, but what they mean, is stinking rich.

I would hope the build quality and attention to detail is better than the last production examples.