Looking to buy new steering wheel

Do you mean you’d like a smaller steering wheel ? 

If so - I think it’s literally just make sure you get the right spline count for your vehicle (36 or 48) and then pick one you like from somewhere like exmoor trim.

Ralph is right though - the standard wheel does work fine for off road driving.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had to change my steering wheel to get through the IVA as the LR standard one wasn't compliant😫  Having previously bought the standard one with the nice big centre pad which I thought would be.

Ended up buying a Momo hub and a 350mm Motamec semi dished wheel which didn't require me to part with a major body part.  I think the quality of the wheel is good and am pleased with its far.

If you go this route then worth finding this one as it is designed to collapse in the event it comes into contact with you in an accident.  Every little helps😃Image04-07-2023at10_10.jpeg.a8b2b39a7ef5d4eb2a2d0606bac88902.jpeg

9 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Interesting... why did the OE wheel fail?

As @miketomcat says the wording is open to some interpretation.  The section talks about a requirement for there to be a deformable element to protect the driver from an impact with the steering wheel in addition to the collapsible element in the steering column.  My tester was clear it was a requirement.  Interestingly there was a second tester present for the retest who'd just been through refresher training and having made comment about steering wheel I got chapter and verse from him as well.

Text from section 14 below see para 2.

Image04-07-2023at20_21.thumb.jpeg.c8a2add43fd3c2374c1dcf5ded86e765.jpeg

• Thanks 1