rear shock absorbers 96 300Tdi hicap,

I have a feeling I need to replace the rear shocks. The rubbers certainly need replacing and the ride is very noisy at the back. I'm not sure if the hi cap had different shock absorbers to the std 110. Whilst I don't want to spend a fortune, I'd still like a good quality part and I'm not sure what to replace them with. By virtue of where I live, I am off-road quite a bit and do very few miles. I do occasionally carry 6-700kg. From what I can see the part is STC291.

Edited by pgrbff

• pgrbff changed the title to rear shock absorbers 96 300Tdi hicap, SALLDHHF7TA975470
  • pgrbff changed the title to rear shock absorbers 96 300Tdi hicap,
5 hours ago, western said:

Stick factory standard then you know it will cope as designed. 

I'm more than happy with the factory standard, I have 2 part numbers, depending on which LR parts list you look at, some overlap but I would have thought the hi-cap had heavier duty and the parts lists don't list the hi-cap separately. When you look for part numbers for springs it becomes even more confusing as the LR parts book quotes colours.

4 hours ago, smallfry said:

OP is in Italy by the looks of it, but I am sure someone could use it

I don't think so. I have Italian reg and it takes more than a VIN to get a new log book here, including lots of expenses.

Is it possible to determine whether I have std or heavy-duty springs? If not how do I decide which would be better?

I do carry the occasional load and I am offroad every day just getting home.

2 hours ago, pgrbff said:

Is it possible to determine whether I have std or heavy-duty springs? If not how do I decide which would be better?

They should have a coloured stripe or two on them, different colours are for different rates, there's a big table here:

http://www.red90.ca/rovers/springinfo.html

As it happens ASPW just put up a decent video on "heavy duty" suspension:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Having purchased a pair of original STC3771's from the UK a friend, who has recently sold his 95 110 has given me a pair of Monroe D6629's and a pair of Monroe D6628's.

Is there any difference? Which should I use?