What does this relay do?

Trying to sort out the wiring on my 1989 110 that I am rebuilding.

On my heatered rear screen relay I have a wire soldered to the black pink wire. I assume that this should go to earth. Is this a correct assumption.

Looking at the wiring diagram for 4 cylinder models 1986 to 1990, there are side diagrams for the rear heated screen with relays, but the others do not match what I have. Looking at the 1991 onwards wiring diagram I can match 4 of the 5 relays that I have by the fuse box. However I can't find one on the diagram. It has a white red wire, white wire, white purple and a white wire. I have a 200 tdi in the 110 and don't have twin tanks. What is this relay for?20230702_150832.thumb.jpg.d738a769486c5c483f30de51c475e232.jpg

Interestingly that relay appears to cut the fuel pump if the oil pressure switch isn't closed, unless it is cranking.

Presume that is for a carb'd vehicle? With EFI that's handled by the ECU of course.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, soutie said:

On my heatered rear screen relay I have a wire soldered to the black pink wire. I assume that this should go to earth. Is this a correct assumption.

Direct-to-earth connections are always black and only black. I can't find any reference to Black-Pink. I don't think it's a colour used. Pink-Black is, but not for you (EGR / Throttle position).

2 hours ago, soutie said:

It sounds like I should leave a relay in there as a spare

What do you mean?

23 hours ago, soutie said:

The black pink (BK) wire goes from the heated rear window relay to a diode. I can't find a wiring diagram right now, but I'm sure it's shown of you look at the heated rear window diagram.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, monkie said:

but I'm sure it's shown if you look at the heated rear window diagram.

Amazing. You are correct. I dug out the old diagram, which I rarely use and the BK wire is there. The circuit seems to check that there are enough volts available before allowing the heated screen to operate and the diode prevents a back-feed.

Screenshot2023-07-04at07_49_13.thumb.png.36cb35b4faa029b7608817bba0437078.pngScreenshot2023-07-04at07_47_52.png.e8ac8d5ab302a9265e1079f1785dc8d8.png

On 7/4/2023 at 7:55 AM, Peaklander said:

Amazing. You are correct. I dug out the old diagram, which I rarely use and the BK wire is there. The circuit seems to check that there are enough volts available before allowing the heated screen to operate and the diode prevents a back-feed.

Screenshot2023-07-04at07_49_13.thumb.png.36cb35b4faa029b7608817bba0437078.pngScreenshot2023-07-04at07_47_52.png.e8ac8d5ab302a9265e1079f1785dc8d8.png

I drew up this chart from when I did my rewiring project:

As I understand the circuit for the heated rear window, as you say there is a mechanism to prevent it being turned on unless the alternator is charging the battery. The Black/pink wire goes to a diode, from which a black/slate wire goes to a voltage sensitive switch to prevent the heated rear window from drawing current and draining the battery if the alternator isn't being driven by the engine.

A solid colour is from a supply to a switch and a striped colour is switch to component. I have used the standard lucas colour code:

G=green, LG = light green, R=red, U=blue, W=white, O=orange, P=purple, N =brown, B=black, Y=yellow, S=slate(grey), K=pink.

G fused ignition on
GR left turn signal
GW right turn signal
GP brake lights
GN reverse light
GB fuel sender
GY heater blower motor switch
GS heater blower motor switch
LGG oil temperature
LGW oil pressure sender
LGB screen wash pump
LGP trailer warning light
LGN hazard switch to flash relay

R running lights
RO right side/tail
RB left side/tail
RY rear fog
RLG wiper motor
RW 12v socket illumination

U head lights
UO right main
US left main
UK left dip
UB right dip
UG wiper motor

W unfused live ignition on
WR ignition switch to starter relay
WO ignition switch to heater blower fuse and radio
WB rear window heater
WS fuel sender to guage 
WN oil pressure warning lamp
WY hand brake warning light
WG Heated rear window switch to relay/dash light

P unfused permanent live
PG fuse to heater blower motor 
PO seat belt warning light (where fitted)
PW interior cab light
PU door switch (where fitted)

N permanent live from positive terminal bus on starter solenoid
NLG wiper motor
NY charge warning light
NLG flasher relay
NW fuse to heated rear window relay

B earth
BU diff lock engaged warning light
BW brake warning light
BR hazard switch illumination
BK heated rear window relay to diode