O/T - - Decent boots with a side zip...

muddy

Apologies if this is OT mods please feel free to delete and tell me off!

I am looking for a new pair of boots with a side zip preferably 8" tall and with a composite toe. I have tried the CAT premier 8 boots and I liked them but I did 5 pairs in two years. I then got some redwing 3222 that have lasted me a good 18 months but one of the zips has failed and they are starting to break apart. Unfortunately I can no longer find these in a size 13. 

Looking here I am tempted by a pair of the best seller jallates but they seem a little cheap? Im not adverse to spending the dosh along as they are good! I wear them 7 days a week usually 14-18 hours a day so taking 10 hours to dry out is not really an option....

So if anyone has any real world experiences/suggestions  i'm all ears.... 

Thanks!

• western changed the title to O/T - - Decent boots with a side zip...

We get issued Diablo ones from work, pretty comfortable. Normally a pair last me 18 month to 2 years depending on how busy work is and what job I am on, no idea of cost as they are issued. 

I have found them mostly water proof up to a few inches which considering I am often walking about in inches of oil based drilling fluid and rock cuttings isn't a bad thing, generally either the zip tab breaks off (paper clip through the remaining part keeps them going a bit longer) or the rubber sides start splitting from the leather where it flexes whilst walking, I rarely wear the sole down. Guess this would depend on what sort of use they get though, I am normally walking on steel decks either solid or gratings (not a place for anyone afraid of hights when you look down through the grating at a 200ft drop to the sea!) also there is often a LOT of steps depending on where I am, earlier in the year 16 flights each way to go for lunch or pee, after a while you are either fit or dead.

One thing I learned a good while ago from someone far wiser than me, (although shoe related rather than boot, but the principle still applies) is to not wear the same pair on two consecutive days - it allows the shoe to properly dry out (from sweat as much as external sources) before you wear it again. This significantly retards degradation. I did this for work shoes in the good ol' days of going to the office 5 days a week and it transformed the lives of my shoes - way beyond doubling their lifespan.

I appreciate that for work boots that means a significant extra expense but it should pay for itself over time.

Thanks chaps, bit the bullet and tried some Haix AirPower turbo EFI max traction synchromesh jobbies. I somehow get the feeling I may well be testing the 2 year warranty but who knows. 

Very good advice Bish and I did at one point have 3 pairs of CAT boots on the go so they could dry out but the buggers still dropped in bits 🙃

Will.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2023 at 3:46 PM, bishbosh said:

One thing I learned a good while ago from someone far wiser than me, (although shoe related rather than boot, but the principle still applies) is to not wear the same pair on two consecutive days - it allows the shoe to properly dry out (from sweat as much as external sources) before you wear it again. This significantly retards degradation. I did this for work shoes in the good ol' days of going to the office 5 days a week and it transformed the lives of my shoes - way beyond doubling their lifespan.

I appreciate that for work boots that means a significant extra expense but it should pay for itself over time.

Trouble I find with work boots is the soles wearing out before the rest of the boot, even with decent ones. 

• 5 months later...
On 8/6/2023 at 9:50 AM, muddy said:

I somehow get the feeling I may well be testing the 2 year warranty but who knows. 

6 months later....

IMG_0336.thumb.jpeg.37b7b416a0bda6da03860a06f2fd10cb.jpeg

Let's see what they say about this....

• Sad 1

Well roughly 24hrs after phoning and then emailing workwear outlet in Blackburn where I purchased them a brand new pair were delivered through  my door. 

Can’t grumble at that service. 

• Like 3