Alternator woes...

What sort of voltage should I see on the different terminals on the alternator?

200Tdi.

There are 3 terminals.

Big brown wire (B+) I'm seeing battery voltage, circa 12.5v either with the engine running or without.

The white wire is I think the W terminal for rev counter, I don't have a rev counter, but it is wired into the loom. I'm seeing no voltage here running or not.

Small brown and yellow wire. Is this the exciter wire? Again seeing no voltage here engine running or not.

Engine starts and runs, but I'm not seeing any charge voltage at the battery. I'm guessing it is a fault with the alternator, but wanted to check as the original alternator seems to have failed and caused a short so that with the engine running I was reading 7-8 volts at the battery, but normal voltage when not running. Have swapped on this spare alternator that came of a running vehicle. Not seeing the weird low voltage now, but also still no charging and trying to narrow down on if I should buy a new alternator or mess with the wiring further. Thanks.

IMG_1684.thumb.jpeg.cca18a85f7a0efc31e67367353b202dd.jpegIMG_1685.thumb.jpeg.4ab3e3b9fd4b0364d5bd7d8b24c8ef17.jpeg

Bring the revs up a bit and see if you get greater than 12.5V on the brown wire, if so then the exciter wire, which should have a small current flowing in it is not exciting it and needs the revs to get going. 

If it doesn't, then that alternator is kippered as well.