Tyre advice

24 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

No it wasn't driver, everyone else would be using the same gear/speed. You can't go too quick on a trials course as you won't make it through the gates. Tyre pressures are also set by the rules, min is 21psi. However in my experience unless you are dropping them down to 15psi or lower, 21psi will perform about the same as 30psi on most surfaces. I'd guess tyres where at 28psi knowing the owner of the vehicle.

Compared to AT tyres the Toyo MT is ok, but compared to other MT's they fall short when used in mud... imo backed by knowing multiple people who have this tread, seeing them used side by side with other vehicles running different brands/treads, having used the Toyo MT myself and having access to a shed of maybe 20 different mud terrains and ATs. They aren't bad on road or maybe even touring/laning use. But if you plan to spend time in more serious off road situations there are other much better tread patterns. Sadly however not in the 255/85 size.

I know how trials work, been doing them for best part of 20 years in a variety of vehicles,  

As I thought, the tyre would be a bit stiff at 28psi, 

For doing specifically trials, then a more aggressive tyre is a no brainer,  however for an all rounder then your stuck with the choice of Mt's on the market, & as you say the choice in a 255 size is even more restricted,  

21 minutes ago, mad_pete said:

Okay thanks not Toyo then. So BFGs then?    I won’t use them that much but the couple of times I do probably would appreciate not getting stuck.  

The KM3 is a very nice tyre IMO. Not quite as good on road as the Toyo, but very acceptable. And the KM3 is much better off road. But they are pricey..... In 255/85 these are your only real choices. Occasionally you might see a Maxxis tyre, but I can't see any for sale at the moment. In 235/85, 265/75, 285/75, 7.50 x 16 or the 15" sizes like 33.10.50, 33.12.50 there is a lot more choice.

• Like 1

I've seen the price of the BFGs I think the cheapest I've found are 250 quid a shot, to be honest I probably will go with them, they do last, the ones I have now have been with me 5 years and will probably do the same again to be honest and thats with every day use. I'll apologise to @HawklordI seem to have rather nicked his post

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mad_pete said:

Okay thanks not Toyo then. So BFGs then?    I won’t use them that much but the couple of times I do probably would appreciate not getting stuck.  

Toyos will be better than the rock-hard km1 bfg that you currently have,